Personal Vehicle UsePage address: http://www.mnsu.edu/vehicles/policies/personal.html
Personal Vehicle Use
State Employee or Volunteer Use of Personal Vehicle on State Business
New Vehicle Usage Guidelines for state vehicles and personal vehicles if used on state business.
A. Local use of personal vehicles to conduct State business shall be as follows:
1. When an employee has errands or events that are a combination of personal and state business. Reimbursement of a personal vehicle would be consistent with the appropriate reimbursement rates displayed on our website and under Travel on the Business Office website, information is also displayed below.
2. Reimbursement for mileage expenses should be requested on an Employee Expense Form. Students/student organizations are not eligible for reimbursement unless travel is required as part of their work assignment.
3. Conducting state business compared to the location of employee's residence do not allow the opportunity to receive state vehicles from the University. Example: Minnesota State University, Mankato employee lives and instructs a class in the metro area.
B. Non-local Use of Personal Vehicles:
1. Employees wishing to use their personal vehicle in lieu of a state vehicle shall submit a request through the website and submit it at least one week in advance of the travel date. Please be reminded that Risk Management encourages state vehicles to be used for state business travel.
2. If the form is not approved by the Facilities Services Office prior to the trip, the employee shall not receive a higher reimbursement rate for the miles driven. Exception: State Vehicle is assigned but is unavailable at requested departure time due to mechanical failure or previous customer's failure to return state vehicle at designated time.
3. Mileage Reimbursement Rates (New Rates Effective January 1, 2015)
The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) standard mileage reimbursement rate for business miles is the rate adopted for use by state employees. Mileage rates are used to calculate reimbursements to employees that use their personal vehicle for business trips. Employees should note that the university actually utilizes two reimbursement rates. The new IRS standard mileage reimbursement rates are effective January 1, 2015 and will maintain this rate until the next IRS standard is released. Fifty seven and a half (.575) cents is used when a state owned vehicle is not available and a lesser rate fifty and a half (.505) cents is used when a state vehicle is declined or not requested by the employee.
If you have any questions regarding travel or business expense reimbursements, please contact the University’s Travel Claims Clerk, Tami Galema-Liebl (Business Services) at 389-5006.
The designated higher mileage rate of reimbursement:
State-owned vehicle NOT available 57.5 cents per mile
State-owned vehicle available 50.5 cents per mile
AFSCME (#202, #203, #204, #206 & #207)
MNSCU ADMINISTRATORS (220)
MANAGERIAL PLAN (220)
COMMISSIONER'S PLAN (213, 217, 218)
Individual's who choose to drive their personal vehicle to the MLPS airport on extended trips will be reimbursed 50.5 cents per mile traveled (or approved lower rate structure reimbursement). This option will allow for the best utilization of state vehicles for our University customers.