Optomery is a pre-professional program. The purpose of pre-professional programs is to provide students with the intellectual and academic backgrounds they will need before continuing their education in degrees not offered at Minnesota State Mankato. Acceptance to professional educational institutions is contingent upon academic performance, so students enrolling in pre-professional programs should be highly motivated and realize they are expected to maintain standards of excellence. Advisors play an important role in guiding the students enrolled in such programs so students are urged to contact the advisor before enrolling.
Policies & Faculty
The following courses satisfy requirements for admission to most colleges and schools of optometry. By the end of their first year at Minnesota State Mankato however, students should check the specific requirements of the college or school of optometry they plan to attend to ascertain exactly what is required for admission. Completion of a bachelor’s degree may be needed to be admitted to optometry schools and colleges.
- BIOL 220 Human Anatomy (4)
- BIOL 270 Microbiology (4)
- BIOL 330 Principles of Human Physiology (4)
- CHEM 201 General Chemistry I (5)
- CHEM 202 General Chemistry II (5)
- CHEM 322 Organic Chemistry I (4)
- CHEM 323 Supplemental Organic Functional Group Chemistry (1)
- CHEM 360 Principles of Biochemistry (4)
- ENG 101 Composition (4)
- ENG 271W Technical Communication (4)
- MATH 112 College Algebra (4) AND
- MATH 113 Trigonometry (3) OR
- MATH 115 Precalculus Mathematics (4)
- MATH 121 Calculus I (4)
- PHYS 211 Principles of Physics I (4)
- PHYS 212 Principles of Physics II (4)
- PSYC 101 Introduction to Psychological Science (4)
- STAT 154 Elementary Statistics (4)
College of Science, Engineering & Technology
Advisor: Mike Lusch, Ph.D.