shortcut to content
Minnesota State University, Mankato
Minnesota State University, Mankato

Starting Your New Job

Page address:

So you're about to begin employment with Minnesota State Mankato, Congratulations! Now what should you do? Below are a few of the things that need to be taken care of to ensure your employment gets off to a smooth start.

Prior to your first day...

you should receive a packet containing employment documents. This packet contains instructions regarding your employment paperwork. Read and follow all instructions and return appropriate documents as indicated in your packet. In addition, new hires will receive a welcome email containing a secure link to create an online profile where personal information will be entered for the payroll system.

Only after your employment documents have been received...

and entered into the payroll system can you begin receiving your paycheck, obtain your ID card (MavCARD), and activate your Minnesota State Mankato account granting access to Minnesota State Mankato systems including computers, e-mail, servers, etc. To find out if your documents have been processed call your department. (Department/Office phones)

Required by Law...

Prove you are legally authorized to work in the US - No later than the first day of employment...

Take care of other odds and ends...

Prove you are legal to work in the US

Within 3 days of your start date, go to Human Resources, 336 Wigley Administration Center, and provide the necessary proof of your eligibility for employment in the US. Note: the best form of identification to bring with you is your passport. Other acceptable forms of identification are listed on the I-9 form which should be in your Minnesota State Mankato packet or click the I-9 Packets link to obtain copies. International faculty or employees contact Human Resources for assistance at 507-389-2015. If you need visa assistance please contact Lu Ann Struck at and see documentation at the following link

Note: If your employment is at a remote location within the U.S. and you are not able to physically come to campus please refer to the Remote Hire section for instructions.

Get a Parking Permit

To apply for a parking permit go on line to or visit the Campus HUB on the main floor of the Centennial Student Union or call (507)389-1866 .

Get an ID card (MavCARD)

Everyone employed by the University should obtain a University ID card, referred to as the MavCARD. The MavCARD is required to utilize various university services, to obtain certain discounts, as well as provide access to certain campus facilities. In some cases you may need to have a MavCARD to access the facility where you will be working. You can obtain a MavCARD at the MavCARD office located on the main floor of the Student Union, phone 507-389-1707. Please bring your driver's license with you to verify your identification.

Access Star ID, E-mail & University Systems

New to Minnesota State Mankato: You will need a STAR ID to access University systems such as E-services, E-time, and MSU e-mail. If you are brand new to Minnesota State then you need to Activate your STAR ID at the following link: If you already have a STAR ID, even if it is from another institution, that is all you need! Follow the instructions on the Information Technology Services page:

Official notifications regarding your employment and university events will come to you through email. You will want to make sure and check your university e-mail account, even if it is not your primary e-mail account.

Do you get Benefits?

NOT ALL POSITIONS are eligible for benefits. If you are unsure as to what you are eligible for please contact our Benefits Specialist in Human Resources at 389-2015.  If you are eligible, the Benefits Specialist will provide you with the necessary information about benefits and insurance.

Get Keys

Obtain building keys by getting a key authorization form from your dean or unit director and take the form to Security, located at 222 Wiecking Center, phone 507-389-2111.

Self Service Web Site

The Employee Self Service Web Site allows you to view/print your pay stub, change your home address, enroll in insurance benefits (if eligible), as well as access other payroll functions. You will receive a letter of explanation along with your User ID and password in the mail, after your employment has been documented in the personnel and payroll systems. Check out the following links to familiarize yourself with the Employee Self Service web site and its functions.

Introduction to the Employee Self Service Web Site
Go to the Employee Self Service Web Site

Previous state employees already have a User ID and password. If you are unfamiliar with using the self service web site you may wish to review the introduction page listed above. You will continue to use the self service web site throughout your employment at Minnesota State Mankato; to update your home address, direct deposit, benefits, and various other functions.