shortcut to content
Minnesota State University, Mankato
Minnesota State University, Mankato

Page address:
Extending a Leave of Absence

If you need an extension of your leave, submit a written request to your supervisor or chair/dean. Provide verbal notification if necessary, but be sure to follow up in writing.

Request for Extension should include:

  1. Reason for extention of absence
  2. Additional dates you plan to be absent and the date you plan to return to work
  3. Amount of each type of leave (e.g., sick leave, unpaid leave, etc.) you plan to use

Medical/Parental Related Leaves...

  1. Notify the HR FMLA Coordinator of your need to extend the leave and send a copy of the written request.
  2. If you have filed a claim for disability benefits, notify the disability insurance company that your leave will be extended (1-800-752-9713).
  3. Provide medical certification from your health care provider to the HR FMLA Coordinator and, if applicable, to the disability insurance company for the requested extension.

*The data provided in these pages is for informational purposes only and is subject to change.