Stompers Film Festival
Call for Entries
We are happy to announce that from now until April 1st, 2024, submissions are open for the Stomper's Film Festival. The festival is open to all MSU Mankato students. Films can be short – in fact, they must be 7 minutes tops. The winning selections will be featured on the MNSU Student Events Team website and shared across Student Events Team social media pages. Films will be shown on April 9th at 7PM in the Ballroom and streamed virtually. Top selections will also be eligible for prizes.
- All films must be shorter than 7 minutes.
- Most of the Film contents should be shot in Horizontal Format.
- All films must be made by currently enrolled MSU Mankato students.
- Only use of AUTHORIZED copyrighted material, including music, TV shows, or movies is allowed. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for any other questions regarding this.
- One copy of each film must be submitted via USB or ONE drive Link to CSU 173 by noon central time on April 1st,2024.
- All filmmakers must accompany the film with an OFFICIAL APPLICATION. The official application is avialiable on Student Events Team Website and MavCentral. Participants will provide their authorization on this application.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Are Groups of Filmmakers allowed?
A. Yes! Groups of filmmakers of any size are allowed to submit, but please submit the film only once on behalf of the group.
- Groups can have as many people as they would like, but there will be only 1 prize awarded to each group. See prize list below (Official Rules Sec. 7)
Q. Who can submit?
A. The person submitting the film must be at least 18 years of age.
Q. Did you receive my entry?
A. Registration will include a confirmation email, to outline specific dates and deadlines for all filmmakers.
Q. When will I hear if my film [is a finalist/is a winner/will be shown]?
A. Submission deadline is April 1st,2024 at noon. Preliminary viewings will be held to make sure films meet criteria. You will be notified shortly after with the decision.
Q. Can I enter more than one film?
Q. More questions?
A. Bill Tourville: William.email@example.com
Eyuel Gezahegn: Eyuel.firstname.lastname@example.org
Student Activities 507-389-6076
By entering the “Stomper's Film Festival” , Entrants accept and agree to be bound by these Official Rules. Any violation of these rules may, at Sponsor’s discretion, result in disqualification. All decisions of the judges regarding this Competition are final and binding in all respects. (Minnesota State University, Mankato is referred to in these rules as the “Sponsor”).
- COMPETITION PERIOD. Competition period is currently open and ends April 1st 2024 at noon Official entries must be received by the end of the Competition Period.
- ELIGIBILITY. This Competition is only open to students currently enrolled at Minnesota State University, Mankato, who are at least 18 year old as of the date of entry.
- HOW TO ENTER. In order to enter this Competition, entrants must deliver a USB or One drive link containing their video, to The Students Activities Office in Centennial Student Union 173 Entrants must read and agree to all rules and regulations, and submit the entry form.
- Include the title of an original video;
- Include the name of the filmmaker(s);
- Be 7 minutes or less in length, including opening and/or closing credits;
- Only use authorized content, including, without limitation, music, images, film clips, and other intellectual property.
- Only contain images or likenesses of any individuals who have provided their authorization or whose parents or guardians have provided authorization if such individuals are under the age of majority in their jurisdiction of residence;
- Be appropriate for viewing by the general public, PG-13 (appropriateness will be determined by the Sponsor in its sole discretion) If students have questions about whether their content is appropriate, please direct questions to email@example.com (Eyuel Gezahegn)
- Please visit the Minnesota State University, Mankato mission and vision page to help distinguish whether or not the submitted material will be received as appropriate. https://president.mnsu.edu/vision-mission-and-values/
- Videos that contain any material that is submissive or objective to any student or body of students (considered discrimination) will not be accepted Students who engage in alleged violations of the "Statement of Student Responsibilities" policy may also face civil or criminal penalties.
Please visit https://admin.mnsu.edu/organizational-information/policies-procedures/university-policies/statement-of-student-responsibilities/#:~:text=All%20students%20have%20a%20responsibility,the%20university%20as%20a%20whole. to review university policies and the “Statement of Student Responsibilities."
7. Be originally authored or the entrant must have written permission to use copyright-protected material. All text, images, videos, and other content and materials submitted by entrants, including without limitation, the items described in subsections (a)-(h) above.
All entries meeting the submission requirements are automatically included in the Stomper's Film Festival. After the final submission deadline, the Selection Committee will review all films in competition in their entirety. Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify any entry at its sole discretion.
5. WARRANTY. Entrant represents and warrants that Submission is the original work of entrant, it has not been copied from others, and it does not violate the rights of any other person or entity. Entrant further represents and warrants that the Submission does not contain any defamatory, obscene, or otherwise unlawful matter.
- Technical Quality
- Overall Quality
6. PRIZE DESCRITION. The first prize film will be posted on Student Events Team online media as well as awarded the prize of winners choice up to $200 value. The second prize film will win a $50 Best Buy gift card. The Audience Choice award winner will win a $25 Visa card.
7. OWNERSHIP AND LICENSE. Ownership in any Submission shall remain the property of the Entrant, but entry into this Competition constitutes entrant’s irrevocable and perpetual permission and consent, without compensation, with or without attribution, that the Sponsor may use, reproduce, publish, transmit, distribute, sell, perform, adapt, enhance or display such Submission, and the entrant’s name and/or likeness for any purpose, including any and all media now in existence or hereafter created, throughout the world, for the duration of the copyright in the Submission. Sponsor and/or others authorized by the Sponsor shall have the right to edit, adapt, and modify the Submission.
8. CONTEST SPONSOR. This Film Festival is sponsored by the State of Minnesota, by and through the Board of Trustees of the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities on behalf of Minnesota State University, Mankato, Centennial Student Union 173.
- CONTROLING LAW, VENUE, AND SEVERABILITY Applicable Law. Minnesota law applies to this Agreement without regard for any choice-of-law rules that might direct the application of the laws of any other jurisdiction.
- Jurisdiction and Venue. The parties hereby irrevocably consent to the jurisdiction of the state and federal courts located in the State of Minnesota, in any action arising out of or relating to this Agreement, and waive any other venue to which either party might be entitled by domicile or otherwise.
- Entire Agreement. This agreement constitutes the sole agreement of the parties with respect to its subject matter. It supersedes any prior written or oral agreements or communications between the parties. It may not be modified except in a writing signed by the parties.
- Severability. If any part of this agreement is for any reason held to be unenforceable, the rest of it remains fully enforceable.
During the academic year, Stomper's Cinema brings blockbuster, independent, international and documentary films to the Minnesota State Mankato campus most weekends. These films are free to students and are shown in the Ostrander Auditorium, located in the Centennial Student Union. Ostrander Auditorium features 5.1 surround sound, renovated theatre seating, and digital projection for a true movie going experience.
For more information contact Student Activities Assistant Director, Bill Tourville, at 507-389-6076 or firstname.lastname@example.org.