James Ball, Associate Director, Operations
James is responsible for building campus community through the day-to-day operation of the Centennial Student Union facilities, as well as short and long-term management of CSU facilities. His areas of supervision provide guidance and direction to the coordinators of the Maverick Bullpen, Building Operations, and Technical Services. James also manages CSU event spaces and services and serve as CSU liaison to University Facilities Management.
Education: Undergraduate: Communications, Pittsburg State University; Post Graduate: Student Affairs, University of Nebraska
Past Experience: Director of Student Centers at the University of Wisconsin-Platteville for seven years; Assistant Director for Student Center Operations at the University of Wisconsin-Platteville for seven years; Program Coordinator for Recreation and Retails Services, Department of Student Union and Activities at South Dakota State University for three years; and Interim Ropes Course and Climbing Wall Coordinator, Campus Recreation at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln for one year.
GETTING TO KNOW JAMES
"My top accomplishments since joining the CSU staff include working with Dining Services to update our retail dining operations and seating areas; upgrading the Bowling Center Point of Sale system and Scoring System (including new video displays); and working with Facilities to change close to 90% of the lights in the CSU to energy efficient LED lamps.”
"The most rewarding aspect of my work with students is seeing them learn, and grow confident in their capabilities, regardless of whether their actions and efforts were viewed as successful.”
“I like to spend my free time in a variety of ways - adventures with my family, bicycling and outdoor recreation, cooking, and discussing or watching Star Wars or comic book based movies, tv shows, or books.”
JAMES’ FUN FAST FIVE QUIZ
- Three words that best describe you. “Life is Good.”
- Three things that can always be found in your refrigerator. “Cheese, eggs, milk”
- Name three people, living or dead, you would like to invite for dinner. “George Lucas, Stan Lee, and Mark Hamill. I'm a huge Star Wars and Comic Book fan, and I would love to talk with them about their impact on modern culture.”
- What is something people would be surprised to know about you? “I grew up in a town of 200 people in Southeast Kansas.”
- What super power would you like to have? Why? “Power Mimicry - the ability to mimic and copy the powers of others. Why limit yourself to one super power?”