The Village Mentoring ProgramPage address: https://www.mnsu.edu/cultdiv/departments/africanamerican/thevillagementoringprogram.html
Mentoring for Student Success
The Village Mentoring Program equips students with essential tools necessary for success at Minnesota State University, Mankato. This program is structured to assist students of color in navigating their college experience from orientation through commencement.
The Village Mentoring Program is designed as an open environment where first- and second-year students of color can ask questions, seek guidance and become acquainted with the many resources available on campus. Individuals who register will receive a graduate assistant, faculty, or staff mentor, who can assist in the many adjustments to campus life and offer support throughout the individual’s academic career.
What are possible roles in the Diversity and Inclusion Mentoring Program?
The Diversity and Inclusion mentoring program is a group of individuals who are committed to sharing the skills and knowledge that is necessary to be a successful student at Minnesota State University, Mankato. Interested individuals can participate in the program by registering as a:
- Mentee - 1st or 2nd year students of color who have a desire in being supported throughout their academic career at Minnesota State University, Mankato.
- Mentor - Individuals who volunteer their time to share their knowledge, experiences, skills, and leadership abilities to help 1st and 2nd year students. These individuals are typically faculty, staff, or a graduate assistant.
What are the desired outcomes of the Diversity and Inclusion Mentoring Program?
The Village Mentoring Program strives to achieve the following outcomes:
Improve retention rates of students of color at Minnesota State University, Mankato.
- Connect students with faculty, staff, and graduate assistants who intentionally mentor students towards academic excellence through academic advising, support, and encouragement.
- Create an environment where students find affinity with one another as well as gain a sense of community.
- Develop a stronger, more united community at Minnesota State University, Mankato.
- Educate students about campus resources and opportunities that will help them graduate and achieve personal success.
How do I sign up to become a Mentee?
For more information about becoming a mentee in the Diversity and Inclusion mentoring program, please click here.
How do I sign up to become Mentor?
If you would like to become a mentor, please click here.