The card access system allows residents to enter designated areas of their residence community with their MavCARD.

MavCARDs contain an antenna coil that communicates to a proximity reader. Special care must be taken of your MavCARD. Any of the following below will damage the card and are not considered natural wear and tear. There will be a replacement fee charged for a new MavCARD.

• Do not leave your MavCARD in direct sunlight or on the dash of a car.
• Do not expose to extreme heat or open flame. For example, clothes dryers or clothes irons.
• Do not machine wash.
• Do not use as an ice scraper or scraping tool.
• Do not crimp, bend, or twist card.
• Do not re-laminate.
• Do not pound with a pen or tool.
• Do not punch a slot or hole in the card.

The card access system works if everyone follows guidelines that promote safety. The only way to ensure safety is to make sure the door closes behind you, so that everyone entering the community has to either use an access card or call a resident to be let inside. Not holding the door open for others may seem rude, but it's the only way to make sure that everyone who enters the community has a legitimate reason to be there

To make sure everyone in your community and the communities you visit remains safe and secure, follow the guidelines below.

  • Do not prop doors open.
  • Do not lend your MavCARD to someone else or borrow someone else's card.
  • Do not let someone else into the community just because that person is standing right behind you as you let yourself in — or is standing outside the door as you let yourself out. Also, when entering or exiting the community, don't allow a person to catch the door and hold it open to let himself/herself in.
  • Be alert and aware. Report strange, suspicious, or unusual behavior/events to University Security.

The card access system is easy to use. Simply pass your MavCARD in front of a proximity reader (black box located near designated entrances). The red light will change to green. At the same time, you will hear a click of the mechanism, which enables you to open the door. You may then enter the building. As the door shuts and locks, the system resets automatically.

When your MavCARD is held near a card reader, you should hear a beep and see the light on the card reader change from solid red to solid green. If the light flashes, your MavCARD was not recognized or access has not been granted to that area. If a card reader denies you access to an area you are authorized to enter, be sure to present your MavCARD to the reader by itself. If your MavCARD is near another proximity card, it may not work properly. Wait ten seconds and try your MavCARD again. If access continues to be denied, note the following:

  • Date and time of the problem.
  • Building and door.
  • Response from card reader – does the reader beep and flash, stay solid red, or do nothing at all?


Residents of Crawford, Julia Sears, McElroy and Preska

During business hours (M-F 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.) go to the Residential Life office (111 Carkoski Commons). After business hours call University Security at 507-389-2111.

Residents of Stadium Heights

Contact the Property Owner's Office at 507-388-5167.

During business hours go to the MavCARD office (117 Centennial Student Union) to obtain a replacement card. Replacement fees apply and a new card will be issued upon receipt of the replacement fee. Replacement card fees cannot be billed to a student account. Make sure you bring a driver's license, state ID, or passport for identification purposes.

After business hours contact University Security at 507-389-2111 to report your card as lost, stolen, or damaged. When business hours resume, go to the MavCARD office to obtain a replacement card. Until a replacement card is issued, make sure you have returned to your community before exterior doors are locked, or make sure you are with a resident who will be able to assist you in gaining access to the community.

You will need your MavCARD to eat in any dining location on campus.

If you lost your MavCARD and freeze it online or at the MavCARD Office, the card will no longer work for meals. You will need to get a new MavCARD at the MavCARD Office during business hours.

If you forgot your MavCARD at home and need a temporary meal pass, see University Dining Services in the lower level of the CSU during business hours (CSU 007 - across from the fireplace).

Contact information for these offices below can be found below.

Lost or Stolen MavCARD?

Replacing a Damaged MavCARD

Frequently Asked Questions about MavCARDs

Contact the MavCARD Office