International Student Course Placement
See below for information pertaining to English and math course placement for international students starting classes at Minnesota State Mankato in Spring 2024
Math Course Placement
New entering international students will be placed into math courses using existing measures such as SAT Math scores or transferrable college level course work. If SAT scores don’t exist or are not high enough to place into college level math, and/or previous college level coursework does not exist, international students will be able to take the Accuplacer. Minnesota State University, Mankato uses the Advanced Algebra and Functions Accuplacer exam.
To view math course placement policies, click here.
To view the practice exam for math, click here.
English Course Placement
New entering international students will be placed into English courses using existing measures such as TOEFL, IELTS, or previous college level course work. If TOEFL or IELTS scores don't exist or are not high enough to place into college level English, and/or previous college level course does not exist, international students will be able to take the Accuplacer. Minnesota State University, Mankato uses the ESL Reading with ESL Writeplacer Accuplacer exam.
To view full English course placement policies, including SAT, click here.
To view the practice exam for English, click here.
International students beginning classes at Minnesota State Mankato in Spring 2024 will be issued an online course placement exam.
Beginning November 6, once you have confirmed enrollment and have been issued a visa, you will receive an email from the University Testing Center instructing you on how to schedule and take your course placement exam (if needed) online through a proctoring service called Examity.
Important information to note about online Accuplacer:
- Online Accuplacer exams are issued to international students through a testing voucher from Examity to your email (check junk mail).
- Online Accuplacer exams can be scheduled anytime, 24 hours a day, seven days a week, so international students can take the exam from the comfort of their home environment, in their own time zone.
- All online testing is scheduled and taken through Examity. Follow the instructions in your voucher email.
- The final date to request or be issued a testing voucher is Friday, December 15 and all vouchers will expire on Friday, December 22. The University Testing Center will be closed December 25-January 1.
- Online Accuplacer can only be utilized once.
- Students are allotted two chances to take the exam with a recommended waiting/study period of two weeks between testing attempts.
- If a student decides to take the Accuplacer for a second time, they will need to take it in-person when they arrive to campus, prior to the first week of classes. A list of available in-person testing times and how to schedule is listed here.
- Make sure your device is compatible with Examity software here.
- Technical difficulties while taking the exam? Use the chat feature within the exam or email firstname.lastname@example.org