J-2 Dependents (spouse and/or children)
Defined as a spouse or an unmarried minor child (under 21 years of age) of J-1 visa holder. J-1 dependents:
- May enter the U.S. with/after the J-1 student, but never before
- May request employment authorization from USCIS but income cannot be used to support J-1 visa holder
- Must have Form DS-2019 each time they travel outside the U.S.
- May study full or part-time
- Status is valid only if the J-1 exchange visitor maintains status
Inviting a J-2 Dependent
You may invite your spouse or unmarried children to join you at Minnesota State University, Mankato. You are required to show sufficient financial resources and proof of adequate insurance.
- Complete the Request for Dependents/Responsibility Form
- Provide evidence of financial support (bank statement, sponsor letter, etc.)
- $6,500 for first dependent
- $4,000 for each additional dependent
- Passport copy for each dependent
The Kearney Center will prepare J-2 dependent DS-2019. The dependent(s) will use the J-2 dependent DS-2019 to apply for a J-2 dependent visa at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate. Check with the Department of State website for more details.