J-2 Dependents (spouse and/or children)

Defined as a spouse or an unmarried minor child (under 21 years of age) of J-1 visa holder. J-1 dependents: 

  • May enter the U.S. with/after the J-1 student, but never before 

  • May request employment authorization from USCIS but income cannot be used to support J-1 visa holder 

  • Must have Form DS-2019 each time they travel outside the U.S.  

  • May study full or part-time 

  • Status is valid only if the J-1 exchange visitor maintains status 

Inviting a J-2 Dependent 
You may invite your spouse or unmarried children to join you at MSU, Mankato. You are required to show sufficient financial resources and proof of adequate insurance. 

  • Complete the Request for Dependents/Responsibility Form 

  • Provide evidence of financial support (bank statement, sponsor letter, etc.)  

  • $6,500 for first dependent

  • $4,000 for each additional dependent

  • Passport copy for each dependent 

The Kearney Center will prepare J-2 dependent DS-2019. The dependent(s) will use the J-2 dependent DS-2019 to apply for a J-2 dependent visa at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate. Check with the Department of State website for more details.