High School Student Scholarships
Academic Scholarships for First-Year Students
- Maverick Scholarship Awards. Maverick scholarship awards are a one-year, non-renewable scholarship. Our Maverick Scholarships are awarded based on high school GPA. To automatically qualify for a Maverick Scholarship, students must be admitted by March 1, 2023. If a student’s GPA improves, the student must provide this updated information to the Scholarship Director by March 1, 2023.
|High School GPA||Maverick Scholarship|
|3.3 - 3.49||$500|
|3.5 - 3.74||$1,000|
|3.75 - 3.99||$1,500|
- Presidential Scholarship Awards. Presidential Scholarships are awarded to selected new students based on GPA, leadership, personal essays and interviews. Students must submit an application for the Presidential Scholarship at mnsu.edu/scholarshipfinder and rank in the top 10 percent of their high school class OR possess a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.8 to be considered. These $20,000 scholarships are awarded over four years. The deadline to apply is January 15.
- Meredith Scholarship Award. The Meredith Scholarship of $32,000 ($8,000 per year for 4 years) will be awarded to one selected undergraduate student who has demonstrated the potential and commitment to pursue a scholarly career in mathematics or natural sciences. This includes majors in mathematics, mathematics education, biological sciences, life science, physics, chemistry, astronomy or physical science. Students must rank in the Top 10% of their high school class. U.S. citizenship with residence in southern Minnesota is preferred. Residents from greater Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Iowa and Wisconsin will also be considered. The deadline to apply is January 15.
- Graham Chemistry Scholarship. This one-year $2,500 scholarship is awarded to a student who expresses an interest in majoring in chemistry. Students must have a minimum GPA of 3.5 to be considered.
- National Merit Finalist Scholarship. Are you a high school student who is a National Merit Scholarship finalist? If you list Minnesota State University, Mankato as the institution you plan to attend, you will receive an $8,000 (over four years) scholarship from Minnesota State University, Mankato. Apply for a National Merit Finalist Scholarship.
Please visit the scholarship opportunities page to be considered for the Presidential Scholar Awards, the Graham Chemistry Scholarships, the Meredith Scholar Awards, or the Honors Program.
The Presidential, Graham Chemistry and Meredith Scholarships will be awarded in addition to any Maverick Scholarship a student qualifies for.
More Scholarship Opportunities
Departments and Colleges
Minnesota State Mankato offers many scholarships through individual departments, colleges, and programs.
Open to incoming and current students, the United States Army Reserve Officers' Training Corps scholarships offer 100 percent college tuition, educational fees, and a designated book allowance.
High school seniors can apply for talent grants in the following areas: creative writing, music, speech and theater. The grants are non-renewable and apply toward a student's first-year tuition.
- Creative Writing Talent Grant Application
- Speech & Debate Team Talent Grant
- Music Talent Grant
- Theatre & Dance Talent Grant
Minnesota State Mankato participates in all funding opportunities available to NCAA Division II institutions (Division I for Men's and Women's Hockey). Prospective student-athletes should contact the head coach of their individual sport for more information. Visit the Mavericks Athletics website.
Non-Minnesota residents may be eligible for in-state tuition rates if you meet certain requirements. (This does not include students in reciprocity states of North Dakota, South Dakota, and Wisconsin or students in programs with one tuition rate for all students regardless of residency.)
In-state Tuition Requirements for First-Year Students
High school 2016 graduates who meet any of the following requirements will automatically receive an in-state tuition scholarship: rank in the top 15 percent of their high school class, have an ACT composite score of 25, have an SAT Critical Reading and Math total of 1100 (old SAT) or have a PSAT Selection index of 150.
High school 2017 or later graduates who meet any of the following requirements will automatically receive an in-state tuition scholarship: rank in the top 15 percent of their high school class, have a GPA of 3.8, have an ACT composite score of 25, OR have an SAT Total of 1220 (March 2016 test or later).
Legacy In-state Tuition
If one or both parents graduated from Minnesota State Mankato, a student may qualify for in-state tuition. The application is available at Legacy In-state Tuition Scholarship.