General Rules / Terms and Conditions (Use, Ownership, Terms):
- Issuance of a MavCARD requires:
- 1) Applicant identity verification obtained through presentation of government-issued photo identification document;
- 2) Card system confirmation of University status;
- Rights and privileges associated with the MavCARD are contingent upon active status as a student, faculty, staff, Emeriti member or recognized approved affiliate.
- Card data, including but not limited to the Tech ID, card number, and photo, may be used for University purposes.
- The MavCARD itself does not authorize cardholders to obligate Minnesota State University, Mankato in any way.
- The cardholder is responsible for the condition and safekeeping of his/her card.
- Altering or intentionally damaging a MavCARD, using another person's MavCARD, or allowing a MavCARD to be used by another person may result in disciplinary action and confiscation of the card.
- A MavCARD is issued to assist in the identification of the valid cardholder; cardholders shall show their identification card when requested to do so by Minnesota State Mankato officials performing their duties and who identify themselves and state the reason for their request.
- MavCARDs may not be held by campus departments for any reason, with the exception of the University Security Department or others performing their duties under the direction of Campus Administration who identify themselves and state the reason for holding/confiscating the card, which includes:
- Card found in the possession of anyone other than the cardholder
- Person attempting to represent themselves as the cardholder
- Card used in a fraudulent manner
- The first MavCARD is provided at no cost. Cardholder is responsible for paying a replacement fee when MavCARD is lost, stolen, confiscated, or intentionally damaged, or when any information is changed at cardholder's request.
- Cardholder should notify the MavCARD Office immediately if a card is lost or stolen. Refer to section titled, “Procedures for Lost or Stolen Cards.”
- Cardholder digital photo will be printed on the front of your MavCARD and stored electronically in the MavCARD database system.
- The photo should show a clear, front view, full face of the applicant, without hat or dark glasses. The applicant should have eyes open and looking directly ahead. In general, the applicant's head, including both face and hair, should be shown from the crown of the head to the tip of the chin on top and bottom and from hairline side-to-side. The key requirement is that the photo clearly identifies the cardholder.
- Head coverings are only acceptable due to religious beliefs, provided the head covering does not:
- Obscure or obstruct a full front view of the face.
- Display any logo, insignia, symbol, or regalia, word or words, letter, number or character, or any combination thereof, graphic design other than the overall pattern of the fabric or material.
- Cast a shadow onto the face.
- Eyeglasses worn on a daily basis can be worn for the photo; however, there should be no reflections from the eyeglasses that obscure the eyes. Dark glasses or nonprescription glasses with tinted lenses are not acceptable unless you need them for medical reasons.
- In accordance with the Family Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), the cardholder's photograph is part of the educational record. It can be released to campus officials for educationally related and university purposes. Minnesota State Mankato will not release cardholder's photograph outside the institution, unless permitted or required by law, or with the cardholder's permission.
- The replacement fee charged to cardholder is $15 for lost, stolen, or damaged cards. If the card is defective at no fault of the user, the replacement fee may be waived.
- The replacement fee charged to cardholder is $5 to print card with updated name information (legal or preferred). Name changes typically appear on card system 2-3 business days after University records have been updated. Cardholder’s previous card must be turned in for this reduced charge; if lost or stolen, the standard $15 replacement fee applies.
Lost or Stolen Cards
Cardholder is responsible to follow reporting procedures in the event the MavCARD has been lost or stolen.
Customer Service / Questions about the MavCARD
To report problems with your MavCARD or any related equipment, contact the MavCARD Office.