Residential Life is committed to helping all students build connections, get involved, and achieve success. Residential communities should be places where all members feel safe and comfortable and can develop positive relationships with one another.
In order to accomplish this and honor the diversity of all students, all staff members should consider their roles as both a ‘role model’ and an ‘authority.’ In these roles, we have a unique opportunity to positively impact resident experiences and celebrate the diversity in our communities.
In holding with these values, Residential Education student staff are expected to:
- NOT initiate any inappropriate behaviors or actions that target groups on the basis of their race, sex, color, creed, religion, age, national origin, disability, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or familial status or any other basis prohibited by state or federal law.
- Support one another’s efforts in confronting inappropriate behaviors about diversity.
- NOT participate (do not encourage, do not laugh, etc.) when you encounter inappropriate behaviors. Inform your supervisor about any concerns.
- Show consistent outreach to all community members (including those different from you).
- Recognize social patterns that emerge in your community so that you can encourage connections and generate respectful and understanding attitudes between friend groups.
- Strive for inclusive resident hangouts/publicity as you plan and implement events that build community.