Licensure/Certification Disclosure

What is a Professional Licensure Disclosure?

A professional licensure disclosure is a requirement by the U.S. Department of Education for all colleges and universities to communicate publicly and directly to prospective and current students about academic programs that will or will not fulfill educational requirements for specific professional licensure that is required for employment in that field; and academic programs that meet or do not meet the education requirements for licensure for each state and U.S. territory regardless of the delivery mode of the program. The regulations are published in the Code of Federal Regulations, CFR §668.43, section (a)(5)(v) and section (b).

State Authorization

Minnesota State University, Mankato is a member of the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (NC-SARA), which allows us to provide distance learning programs and coursework to residents of states other than Minnesota. The only state that is not a member of SARA is California. NC-SARA membership, however, does not grant reciprocity or exempt us from state professional licensing requirements. As a result, licensing requirements in Minnesota may not be recognized as sufficient to obtain a license in any other state.

Does This Program Meet Requirements for Licensure in My State?

Each state and territory have different professional licensure and certification requirements. Other licensure requirements may include professional examinations, background checks, years of work experience, fingerprinting requirements, etc. Students who are considering an academic program that may allow them to pursue professional licensure in their state or territory are strongly encouraged to check their state’s or territory's information and contact the appropriate licensing agency to seek information and additional guidance before beginning a program outside of their state.

Potential Changes in Requirements

Students who plan to pursue licensure outside of Minnesota should be aware that state licensure requirements are subject to changes. While a program may originally meet the educational requirements for licensure, changes in requirements could impact the program's ability to meet any new educational requirements. Students should always check with their state licensure board to confirm licensure requirements.

Important Note for Relocating During the Course of a Program

Prospective and current students should keep in mind that licensing and authorization requirements vary by state and that relocating during the course of a program to another state could impact whether that student can continue in the course, meet the eligibility requirements of that state, and/or receive financial aid funding. If students are considering relocating, they should contact their program to check for authorization and licensure eligibility requirements.

Professional Licensure Requirements

The curriculum for programs customarily leading to licensure at Minnesota State University, Mankato has been designed to meet the licensure/certification requirements in Minnesota as well as preparing students to apply for licensure exams in the State of Minnesota. The licensure boards in each state are responsible for establishing the requirements for licensure/certification for their state. Students who intend to return or move to any state other than Minnesota need to review the professional licensure disclosures pertaining to their program and consult with the state professional licensing board. The state professional licensing boards make the ultimate decision as to whether or not an individual will be eligible for licensure based on the rules and regulations in place at the time the individual submits their application for licensure.

It is important to understand all educational and individual requirements for licensing. Minnesota State Mankato cannot guarantee licensure, certification, or endorsement. State regulations vary regarding professional licensure. It is your responsibility to understand and comply with the requirements for your state.

Licensure and certification are post-graduation processes and cannot be completed without a posted degree. To assist students who now live or may one day live outside of Minnesota, Minnesota State Mankato provides the following information resources:

  • It is important that you understand the regulations for your state before enrolling in your academic program. Please check the licensing requirements for the state where you will seek employment.
  • NC-SARA has provided a Professional Licensure Directory with contact information for all 50 states and 3 territories for the following professional areas: Counseling, Nursing, Psychology, Social work, and Teacher Education

At this time no determination has been made as to whether any of our programs (listed below) leading to licensure/certification meet the educational requirements for licensure in any state besides Minnesota.

  • Art Teaching - BS
  • Athletic Training - MS
  • Chemistry Teaching - BS
  • Communication Arts and Literature ­ Education - BS
  • Communication Sciences and Disorders - MS
  • Computer, Keyboard, and Related Technology - GC
  • Dance Education (K­12) - BS
  • Dental Hygiene - BS
  • Dental Hygiene - BS
  • Earth Science Teaching (5­12) - BS
  • Elementary Education - BS
  • Family Consumer Science - BS (Dietetics)
  • Family Consumer Science Education - BS
  • Family Consumer Science Education - GC
  • French Teaching - BS
  • German Teaching - BS
  • Health and Physical Education - BS
  • Law Enforcement - BS
  • Life Science Teaching (5­12) - BS
  • Mathematics Teaching - BS
  • Music Education - BS
  • Nursing - BSN
  • Physics Teaching - BS
  • Post-Baccalaureate School Health Education - GC
  • Post-Baccalaureate Teacher Licensure - GC
  • Post-Nursing Masters Primary Care FNP - GC
  • Reading - GC
  • Rehabilitation Counseling - MS (program suspended)
  • School Health Education - BS
  • School Psychology - PSYD
  • Social Studies Teaching - BS
  • Social Work - BSSW
  • Social Work - MSW
  • Spanish Teaching - BS
  • Special Education: Academic and Behavioral Strategist - BS
  • Special Education: Autism Spectrum Disorders - GC
  • Special Education: Developmental Disabilities - GC
  • Special Education: Early Childhood Special Ed - GC
  • Special Education: Emotional/Behavioral Disorders - GC
  • Special Education: Learning Disabilities - GC
  • Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages - GC