Frequently Asked Questions

Check out the questions below. If you don't find the question or answer you're looking for, email us at for assistance.

Academic Advising & Majors

Who is my academic advisor? 

Your academic advisor is assigned according to your declared major. The University Advising Center provides advising for all students who are currently undecided about their major. Your advisor's name is located at the top of your class schedule, which is viewable from the E-services website. You can also call our office for assistance at 507-389-1650.

What's the difference between "declaring," and being "admitted to" my major?

Students can declare a major at any time - and essentially allows a student to formally share his/her desire to pursue a particular major. Undecided students should declare majors as soon as they feel they are ready. Students are admitted to majors when they have met department requirements to take advanced coursework in that major. Students can review admission requirements in the Undergraduate Catalog by reviewing the "Admission to Major" information for the department they plan to pursue. 

How do I make an appointment with an advisor?

If you are undecided about your major, call the University Advising Center (507-389-1650)! You're also welcome to stop by to set up an appointment. Undecided advising is located in Memorial Library 111.

If you have selected a major, and have been assigned to a specific advisor, you can look up your advisor's name by logging into E-services. Then, select "Courses & Registration," and "View/Modify Class Schedule." Your advisor's name will be listed above your schedule.

After you've located your advisor's name, go back to the Minnesota State Mankato home page, and enter the name into the search location in the upper-right corner, and click on "search." This will connect you to your advisor's contact information - including office location, office phone number, and email address.