F-2 Dependents (spouse and/or children)

Defined as a spouse or an unmarried minor child (under 21 years of age) of an F-1 student. F-1 dependents:

  • May enter the U.S. with/after the F-1 student, but never before
  • Cannot be employed
  • Must have Form I-20 each time they travel outside the U.S.
  • Cannot be admitted as a full-time degree-seeking student (exception: elementary, middle, or high school students)
  • Must leave if the F-1 student has been outside the U.S. for more than 5 months.

Inviting an F-2 Dependent

You may invite your spouse or unmarried children to join you at Minnesota State Mankato. You are required to show sufficient financial resources and proof of adequate insurance.

  • Complete the Request for Dependents/Responsibility Form
  • Provide evidence of financial support (bank statement, sponsor letter, etc.)
  • $6,500 for first dependent
  • $4,000 for each additional dependent
  • Passport copy for each dependent

The Kearney Center will prepare an F-2 dependent I-20. The dependent(s) will use the F-2 dependent I-20 to apply for an F-2 dependent visa at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate. Check with the Department of State website for more details.