Frequently Asked Questions

Minnesota State Mankato has made a commitment to provide services to learners who cannot readily come to campus during normal business hours. The Campus Hub offers evening hours and all necessary administrative tasks can be completed online, by e-mail, or over the telephone.

For more detailed explanations, the Getting Started pages for Online and Off-Campus will guide you through the administrative tasks that apply to you.

When in doubt, contact University Extended Campus with your questions.

How do I register?

Instructions on how to register can be found at the Registrar's Office. University Extended Campus provides detailed instructions on searching the class schedule site to find the course-specific information you will need to register.

What is my PIN number and Tech ID?

Your Personal Identification Number (PIN) provides security for your registration records. If you forget your PIN, call the Registration Help Center at 507-389-2252.

Your Tech ID is found on your MavCard. If you don't have a MavCard and are trying to register, you can look up your Tech ID provided you know you social security and PIN numbers. If you do know know your social security number and PIN, contact the Registration Help Center at 507-389-2252 and they can assist you with your Tech ID.

If you currently do not have a MavCard and would like to have one, request one online or contact the MavCard office at 507-389-1707.

The class I want to register for requires permission. How do I get it?

If you are a first-time University Extended Campus student taking 100- or 200-level classes, special permission is required from the University Extended Campus Office. Contact us at 800-722-0544 or 507-389-2572. For all other permissions, contact the class instructor.

I have a "hold" on my registration. How do I get it lifted?

If you have a hold on your record, contact the Registration Help Center at 507-389-2252 for information.

How do I get my grades?

Students can view their grades for a term using the web. The location for viewing grades is the same as that for registering on the web.

How do I get an Minnesota State Mankato ID Card?

The Minnesota State Mankato ID Card is named after the Maverick mascot. University Extended Campus students can obtain a MavCard by completing the Extended Campus Identification Authorization Form online.

I haven't received my student loan/grant/scholarship yet. Will my registration be cancelled?

No. Your registration will not be cancelled for non-payment if you have an approved loan, grant, or scholarship. Your payment will be deferred until your financial aid is processed.

I dropped a course after the first week of class. Do I get a refund?

No. Only full-time courses dropped during the first week of class or one day after the first class session, whichever is later, will receive a 100% refund/credit of tuition and fee charges.

I have been going to a class since the semester began, but I haven't registered for it yet. Is there a late fee?

Yes. If you register after the last day to add a class, you will be charged a late fee of $30.

What does Telepresence stand for?

Minnesota State University, Mankato, is equipped with several Cisco TelePresence units. TelePresence enables real-time, lifelike, and clear communication between two geographically-separated classrooms. Most often, TelePresence is used in classrooms with some students and the professor on one end, and more students on the other. It is on a separate, dedicated high-speed network to enable realistic visual and audio communication.

What is the MSUSA Fee on my bill?

The MSUSA fee is used to support operations of the Minnesota State University Student Association, which represents students before the State University Board and the Minnesota State Legislature.

Can I register at the first class session?

Registration is approved on a space-available basis. It is recommended that you register in advance, even if it is last-minute, if you want to take a particular class. If you have not registered when you attend the first class session, talk to the instructor and register online as soon as possible after the end of the first class.

Where do I get my textbooks?

All required texts for your course(s) can be purchased online from Minnesota State Mankato’s Maverick Shop bookstore. Questions? Contact the bookstore at 561-568-9109 or email

I never went to class and did not drop the first week. Do I still have to pay?

Yes. If you do not drop full-term classes within the first week of the session or the day after the first class session, whichever is later, you are required to pay.

If there are bad weather conditions, how do I know if classes are cancelled?

If Minnesota State Mankato's classes are cancelled or the University is closed, University Extended Campus classes are also cancelled. Class cancellations due to weather conditions will be posted on the Minnesota State Mankato homepage. You may contact the University Extended Campus Office if you have questions or call Minnesota State Mankato Information at 507-389-2463 or 1-800-722-0544.

For more information, please refer to the current winter weather closing procedures.