International Admission Checklist
complete and submit your e-application
Minnesota State University, Mankato will not accept any documentation from students UNTIL they have submitted their e-application. If you have not completed your e-application, please follow these instructions.
Upload all required documents to your personalized dashboard
You are required to upload all documentation to your personalized dashboard in either pdf or jpg formats. SAT and ACT scores must be submitted directly by the test company to be eligible for use.
Take a photo of your passport ID page that clearly shows your full name, birth date and photo. If there is glare on your photo, please retake the photo until all information is legible.
Save the photo as a .jpg and upload it to your individualized portal.
Provide documentation in one of the following ways:
- TOEFL iBT (internet-based test) score of 61 or better; OR
- IELTS academic test score of 5.5 or better; OR
- Duolingo English Test score of 95 or better; OR
- Pearson Test of English (PTE) score of 47 or better; OR
- Successful completion of the highest level of the Intensive English Program (IEP) at Minnesota State University, Mankato, with a B+ average or better and at least a B in each course; OR
- Completion of Level 112 at an English Language School (ELS) in the U.S.; OR
- SAT Critical Reading sub-score of 400 or higher or SAT Reading sub-score of 22 or higher; OR
- ACT English score of 18 or higher; OR
- Students transferring from a U.S. college or university may satisfy the English proficiency requirement by the completion of one semester of Freshman English Composition I with a C or better grade. If the student is transferring from a school that is on the quarter system they would have to complete Freshman Composition I & II with a C or better grade.
The Intensive English Program is open to students who completed high school and score:
- between 20 and 60 on the TOEFL iBT test; or
- between 330 and 499 on the TOEFL PBT test; or
- between 3.5 and 5.0 on the IELTS test;
- between 30 and 49 on the Pearson Test of English (PTE) test; or
- between 50 and 94 on the Duolingo test; or
- or below 400 on the SAT.
Upon successful completion of the advanced level of the program, you will be regularly admitted to MNSU.LEARN MORE ABOUT THE INTENSIVE ENGLISH PROGRAM
Provide Minnesota State University, Mankato records of ALL secondary (High School) and post-secondary (AFTER High School) institutions you have attended. This includes English Language institutions or programs attended in the U.S.
- All uploaded Non-U.S. records must be originals OR official copies and must be translated into English.
- All U.S. records must be official transcripts submitted by the U.S. high school.
Transfer Student WITHOUT U.S. Credits:
- Students not intending to transfer credits from outside of the U.S. must still provide academic records for Admissions consideration, but would not be required to have their credits evaluated by an outside credentialing agency.
- If you intend to transfer credits from abroad, please see our International Transfer Student page.
Transfer Student WITH U.S. Credits:
- OFFICIAL transcripts for U.S. Colleges or universities must be sent to Admissions DIRECTLY by each U.S. college and university. Unofficial transcripts will not be accepted.
Minnesota State Mankato is test-optional for admissions. We will make admission decisions based on high school transcripts and GPA for students that do not provide ACT or SAT scores. Students who apply will not be required to submit ACT or SAT scores to be considered for admission and missing test scores will not be required prior to attending. If students submit test scores they will be used in the admission process.
Why submit scores if they are optional?
Provide your test scores to save time and learn your course placements sooner! New entering international students will be placed into math and English courses using existing measures such as SAT Math scores or transferrable college-level coursework. If test scores don’t exist or are not high enough to place into college-level math or English, and/or previous college-level coursework does not exist, international students will be able to take the Accuplacer. Minnesota State University, Mankato uses the Advanced Algebra and Functions and/or ESL Reading with ESL Writeplacer Accuplacer exams. For more information, see the International Student Course Placement page.
PLEASE NOTE: Minnesota State University, Mankato has experienced increased applications from fraudulent agents in various countries worldwide. To combat misinformation and fraudulent agent networks most familiar to Minnesota State University, all undergraduate applicants from Bangladesh, Pakistan, and Uganda must complete a phone interview with an authorized Minnesota State University agent. After submitting the online application, more information will be sent to applicants via email.
If you have questions about Minnesota State Mankato and you have NOT submitted an application, please send an e-mail to email@example.com or call the Kearney International Center at +1-507-389-5200.