Application Process

When will I get my acceptance, housing assignment, etc.?

For most programs (but not faculty led programs) applying for approval for education abroad and away is a two-step process. First, one must submit an application for Minnesota State Mankato approval via the Center for Global Engagement Application on Terra Dotta, and then one applies directly to their University (for exchanges) or Program Provider (for provider programs.) Minnesota State Mankato faculty led programs have a single application process, the Center for Global Engagement application, on the Terra Dotta system.

For Exchanges, after a student has applied to Center for Global Engagement and been approved, a Center for Global Engagement staff member will ‘nominate’ them (send their information) to our Exchange Partner. Once nominated, students will receive an email directly from the Exchange Partner providing them next-step instructions and link to the application.

For Provider Programs, students are able to start their application while still in process for the Center for Global Engagement application. Applications links are located on all the provider program pages. During our advising sessions, we can show you how to apply (if you have not yet done this) and we can begin to answer all your questions!

Acceptance Process

Most students will find out if they are formally accepted into their exchange, provider program, or faculty-led program anywhere from one week to two months after they submit their applications. However, sometimes this process can take much longer, particularly from our Exchange Program Partners.

Acceptance will come to you either via an email or via an application portal. Please pay close attention to all emails and correspondences you receive from Center for Global Engagement, your faculty leader, your program provider, or your exchange partner. These emails and communications will often include important information and instructions required to move forward in your pre-departure planning.

Acceptance Paperwork

No matter your program type, you will find that you will have a lot of e-signing or paperwork to complete once you are approved! This is an important part of your education abroad and away process!

For the Center for Global Engagement Application generally, to include Faculty Led programs, all of your application and post-application (called post-decision) paperwork will be available to you on your Terra Dotta system.

For Provider Programs, most students will find that our program providers have application portals (not too unlike our Terra Dotta system) for easy post-application follow up and forms submission.

For Exchange applications, you will need to submit post-acceptance paperwork via email, mail, or an application portal, depending on how the University Exchange program is set up.

**Note that the housing application is usually a separate process for many of our exchange partners, so please be sure to read the through the host (exchange partner) website for additional housing information so that you do not miss a housing reservation deadline (and remember you can always see an Education Abroad and Away Advisor to help you sort it out!).

Following are some things that can impact your acceptance process for Exchange Programs:

1. Incomplete Applications: You will want to fully complete the Exchange Program and submit it by their deadline.

2. Getting Approval for Overseas Classes: Generally, your host university (exchange partner) reviews your application materials, and, if necessary, they may need to send your transcript and course selection(s) to multiple departments (depending on the courses you have chosen). In such cases, it may take longer to process your class selections, as each department must review your transcript to ensure you have met the pre-requisites necessary to join the course, etc.

3. Semester Dates: Remember that semester start times differ across regions. For example, in the Southern Hemisphere semesters run from February-June and July-November. In Europe, many universities run their semesters from September-January and February-June. In Asia, semesters may have dates that begin in August and go until January, and then from March to July. It is very important to keep in mind that the U.S. academic calendar may or may not necessarily fit the academic calendar of your chosen university/program. Thus, if you have your heart set on a particular exchange program, you may need to be patient and understand that you must follow your host program's timelines, even if it means waiting longer to start a program. Acceptance and confirmation into a program can vary greatly depending on the host university’s process and THEIR respective academic calendars:

  • Example: Queens University, Belfast does not send acceptanceletters for Fall/Academic Year programs until June. The University of Seoul in South Korea does not send out acceptance letters for Spring semester programs until mid-December because their Spring semester does not begin until late-February/early-March.

4. Vacation Times: Holidays are different in other countries, which will alter the speed at which acceptances are processed. Most university staff in Europe take 5 weeks of summer vacation in July and August, during which time the universities are essentially closed. Likewise, most other countries around the world have 2 weeks of holiday in March/April and again in late-December/early-January, during which time the universities are closed.

Pre-Approved Class Planners (Minnesota State Mankato process)

To ensure you receive credit for the classes you take while abroad, students participating in all programs except for faculty led-programs* are required to complete a pre-approved class planner. (Note: This class planner may be in addition to any class planner that your exchange program or program provider also require). The MSU class plannercan be found on your Center for Global Engagement Application/Terra Dotta site, and/oryou can request this form from our office or during one of your advising appointments.

*If your faculty-led program requires you to take a course at an established University abroad, then you will likely need to complete the pre-approved class planner (e.g. Summer Study Abroad in Scotland, hosted at the University of Stirling). If required, this form will be attached to your Terra Dotta account.

You will find instructions on how to complete this form on the reverse side of the form. Generally speaking, if you wish to apply credit from courses you take abroad/away to your major or minor degree requirements, you must meet with your academic advisor and/or your major or minor department chair to talk about the courses you plan to take, and get the necessary signatures for course approval PRIOR to your departure.

If you would like to fulfill general education or goal area requirements, you should meet with the Minnesota State Registrar’s office to discuss your courses and receivethe necessary signatures for course approval.

If you only wish to receive ‘elective’ credit for your course(s) abroad/away, then meet with a Center for Global Engagement Advisor.

Once you have received all the necessary signatures, set up a time with an Center for Global Engagement advisor to review and complete form. The advisor will then also scan this form to your Center for Global Engagement Application/Terra Dotta account, and will retain this form until your transcript arrives at our offices from abroad.


Generally, for exchange programs and provider programs, you will be notified of housing as they are able to confirm this information. In some instances, students will find out the location of their housing assignment after they arrive on site. If this is the case, the program contact will let you know this ahead of time (sometimes the websites state this upfront) so be sure to read all of the website information and all the information sent to you ahead of your arrival. Please do not hesitate to contact the Center for Global Engagement office to ask for assistance with the housing process!