Change of Educational Level

You entered the U.S. to complete a specific educational program identified on your I-20 or DS-2019.  If your educational level will change, it is your responsibility to request the Kearney International Center to update your SEVIS record and obtain a new I-20 or DS-2019.  If you are completing a Bachelor’s degree and will begin a Master’s program, your I-20 or DS-2019 must be updated to reflect the correct level of education.  

You can request a change of educational level by filling out the I-20/DS-2019 Request form and choosing the change of level option. Return the form to the Kearney International Center in person or by email.

Intensive English Program (IEP) 
If you complete the IEP in our Center for English Language Programs, and will matriculate in an academic program at Minnesota State Mankato, you must request a change of level I-20 or DS-2019.  The IEP will issue you an updated I-20 or DS-2019 for your new degree program.  

F-1 Undergraduate Students: 
If you are completing your Minnesota State Mankato Bachelor’s degree or completing your Bachelor’s level OPT and have accepted an offer to begin your graduate studies at Minnesota State Mankato, request a change of level I-20.  If you’re currently on OPT, your OPT will be canceled on the first day of the semester your new program begins.