While not the only time to join, Fall is the primary time for joining a sorority.
During Spring 2023, all of our sorority chapters are able to recruit members informally through Continuous Open Recruitment.
stay tuned for more information about fall 2023 formal recruitment. info will be posted on or before may 1, 2023.
Registration opens May 1.
Sororities at MSU take pride in the annual formal recruitment process that occurs each fall. Formal recruitment is the primary way to join a sorority. It is a four-night process dedicated to finding the best-fit sorority for the potential new member.
Those interested in joining should plan to participate in the entire process. A Thursday night class, which may be in conflict with the first round of recruitment, is one of very few exceptions that may be granted to this, and those who have a Thursday night class should certainly plan to attend the Sorority Social on Wednesday night. Those with other conflicts for Thursday, Friday, or Saturday should wait to participate in informal recruitment with chapters still recruiting after the formal process is completed.
Please note that this formal recruitment process is the primary way by which women join sororities at MSU and anywhere else, for that matter. Immeditely following this process, "total," or the cap on chapter membership, set. This means that, after Formal Recruitment, some of our chapters will not be recruiting any longer. For the best chance to join a sorority, it is highly recommended that women participate in this process.
Online registration will be available by May 1. Below is a sample schedule of what Fall Formal Recruitment Weekend may look like.
- Thursday: Open House Round. Visit each chapter for 30 minutes.
- Participant check-in will begin at Ostrander Auditorium at 5:15 p.m., and all participants should be checked in by 5:40. The first open house event starts at 6:00 p.m. The evening will conclude by 9:00 p.m. Casual attire is suggested.
- Friday: Round 2. Visit up to three chapters for 60 minutes.
- Participant check-in will begin at Ostrander Auditorium at 5:15 p.m., and all participants should be checked in by 5:40. The first open house event starts at 6:00 p.m. The evening will conclude by 10:00 p.m. Business Casual attire is suggested.
- Saturday: Preference Round. Visit up to two chapters for 60 minutes
- Participant check-in will begin outside CSU 173 at 8:30 a.m., and all participants should be checked in by 9:00. The first Preference event starts at 10 a.m., and some are off-campus. Transportation is provided. The day will conclude by 2:30 p.m. Business attire/cocktail dresses are suggested.
- Sunday: Bid Day. Find out if you've been matched to a sorority, and start your adventure!
- Participants should begin to arrive outside CSU 173 at 10:00 a.m. Bid disbursement will begin shortly after that. Please note that the building does not open until 10:00, so please do not plan to arrive much before then.
Note about suggested attire: No one should feel like they can not participate in the recruitment process because they do not have or can not afford to go out and buy outfits that match the suggestion. These are merely suggestions. Come as you are, or, if you would like to borrow something, we have a community of women willing to make sure you have something you feel great in, and we can discreetly get you something to wear! Email Amber at email@example.com, and let her know you'd like to borrow something to wear. Include which day you may need something for, the size needed (dress/clothing and shoes, if also needed), and she'll do your best to find something for you!
Optional Sorority Social
The sorority community will host an informal, optional sorority social on the evening before formal recruitment begins. While this is going on, Fraternity & Sorority Life Info Sessions will be available across the hall. This event is free, and no commitment to formal recruitment is required. It's designed to a come-and-go-as-you-please feel, so if you have class until 9 or have somewhere to be at 9, no problem! Women who attend will have an opportunity to enjoy refreshments while mingling with members from our sororities and getting their questions answered. If they haven't decided to participate already, it's often times this event that helps women decide to go through with the recruitment process.
Sorority formal recruitment requires potential new members to pre-register online. This allows us to keep potential new members better informed. Potential new members can register through the day before formal recruitment, Wednesday, August 24th. There is a fee for formal recruitment, which may be paid by credit/debit card online, in person by check, or by sending a check made payable to MSU Panhellenic Council to: PHC Recruitment, 173 Centennial Student Union, Mankato, MN 56001. The price of the fee for recruitment is as listed. Both payment and registration must be received to get the discounted rates.
- Register and pay by Wednesday, June 30: $15 Fee
- Register and pay between July 1 and July 31: $25 Fee
- Register and pay between August 1 and August 25: $30 Fee
Typically, chapters require a 3.0 cumulative high school GPA or 2.5-3.0 cumulative college GPA, depending on whether the student is a first year student or a transfer/continuing MSU student. The requirements vary by chapter, with some being higher than others. Chapters very rarely make exceptions to their requirements, as exceptions may require approval from the organization's inter/national headquarters.
Our sororities require each member to be a full time college student (12 credits or more), and a fully matriculated student at MSU. This excludes PSEO, CIS, etc.