Accommodations for Pregnant and/or Breastfeeding Students
In compliance with Title IX of the Education Amendments Act of 1972, Minnesota State University, Mankato prohibits discrimination in its educational programs and activities on the basis of sex. This includes pregnancy and related conditions. Any complaints of harassment or discrimination due to pregnancy should be referred to the Equal Opportunity and Title IX Office (Morris Hall 014, 507.389.2986).
Students who are pregnant or breastfeeding may request adjustments based on general pregnancy or breastfeeding needs or ADA disability accommodations based on a pregnancy-related complication. Accommodations may include extensions for assignments, schedule changes, reasonable breaks to express milk, excused absences from class, furniture adjustments, and food/drink allowed in class.
To get started….
- If pregnancy related adjustments are needed, we ask that you provide documentation to guide our office in determining what is appropriate. This Request for Accommodations Due to Pregnancy form should be completed by your health provider. We will email upon receipt of this supporting paperwork to invite a meeting.
- Please call Accessibility Resources (507.389.2825) to schedule a meeting with a staff member.
Absences and Making up Missed Work
Students absent for medically necessary reasons related to pregnancy, childbirth or breastfeeding are allowed to return to the same academic status as before the absences and be allowed to make up missed work, including any missed participation-related points, as long as the student’s doctor deems the absence medically necessary. Instructor’s rules about attendance and make-up work generally cannot override these legal accommodation requirements.
Space is available on the MSU, Mankato campus for students, staff and faculty to breastfeed or pump milk in a private and clean individual room at the following locations:
- The CSU Lactation Station is located in the women’s restroom across from the Women’s Center, CSU 218, in the north corridor of the CSU upper level.
- The Lactation room is located on the Lower-level of the library in the north-east corner. It is an individual room that is available on a first-come first-serve basis. The window on the door has been obscured.
- MSU, Mankato Women’s Center (CSU 218)
Resources Available for Pregnant and Parenting Students
There are several excellent resources listed on this MSU, Mankato website, including information on local health care and child care options: https://www.mnsu.edu/university-life/activities-and-organizations/nontraditional-student-Resources/Nontraditional-Student-Community-Resources/