The Counseling Center offers a variety of process, support, and psychoeducational groups. Group counseling is often a more effective approach for your presenting concern than individual counseling, and you may be recommended for one of our groups during your Screening Appointment. Let your counselor know if you are interested in group counseling.
All students interested in or referred to a group will be scheduled for a 15-minute group orientation meeting with the facilitator(s) to learn more about the group and set personal goals.
Please click on the link above for the group schedule and descriptions. Some of our current groups listed include:
- Understanding Self and Others (USO): This is a general therapy process group that encourages personal growth through interpersonal communication. Members benefit through exploring their relationships and communication styles, and through providing and receiving feedback. Multiple sections offered each semester.
- Women & Relationships: This is a feminist-oriented group for any student who identifies as a woman. This group encourages empowerment and connection through a combination of support and interpersonal process. Multiple sections offered each semester.
- Grad Student Support: This group is for graduate students to connect and find support for common graduate school concerns – such as adviser relationships, work-life balance, stress, and job/career exploration.
- Men's Group: This group will explore what it is to be a man at MSU-Mankato and in society today. Members will explore themes such as masculinity and toerh intersecting identities, maleness, relationships, identity and emotional intelligence, while buidling community and support for each other. This group is open to anyone who identifies as a man.
- TransConnections: This group is for individuals who want to connect and discuss identity, personal growth and challenges, and building relationships in a supportive space for trans and gender nonconforming students. This group is facilitated by a cisgender male counselor.
- Undergrad United: This group is a place for 1st year undergraduate international students to find common ground and suport as they navigate their first semester. Some areas covered are homesickness, socializing, microaggressions and general anxieties.
Curious about group counseling? Click here for frequently asked questions.