Non Campus Travel Form

Confirmation of Off Campus Domestic/International Student Travel/Academic Space Use

The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act (Clery Act) requires the University to report publicly on any crimes that occur on University premises - a requirement that includes rental properties and University sponsored trips to off-campus locations under certain circumstances.  University personnel who are responsible for students on University-sponsored trips (both domestic and international) are considered "Campus Security Authorities" (CSAs) under the law, and are legally obligated to report those crimes.

To comply with the law, this form MUST be completed for ANY University sponsored off campus travel and includes the following requirements:

  • MSU students
  • An overnight stay
  • University control over the trip or program accomodation and any related academic space used in conjunction with the trip.  Control, as defined by the Clery Act, means that there is a written agreement (no matter how informal) directly between the University and the end provider for use of the space.
  • Controlled space other than lodging must be used in direct support of, or in relation to the institution's educational purposes and frequented by students.  Some examples of a written agreement include renting hotel rooms, leasing apartments, leasing space in a student housing facility or academic space on another campus and even and email agreement for use of space free of charge.

University Security will request information from the location's local law enforcement agency to determine required reporting of Clery Act crimes (occurring during the trip period and at the University arranged accomodation and/or related academic space).  Please fill out and submit this form for each trip taken.  

Submit a separate form for each location address.

Submit a separate form for each location address.