Front Desk Assistants
Front Desks are the information center of each residence community. Front Desk Assistants provide excellent customer service to residents and guests year round.
Front Desk Fast Facts
- Front Desks are open 8 a.m. to 3 a.m. daily, except during break periods.
- Desk Assistants answer questions, check-out items to residents, and handle guest parking permits, among other tasks.
- Desk Assistants are supervised by Student Services Coordinators.
hiring Timeline and Application
Spring 2024 Start
|Monday, November 6||Application opens at 8 a.m.|
|Wednesday, November 8||Application closes at midnight|
|November 13-17||Interviews with candidates|
|November 20-22||Employment offers extended|
August 2024 Start
|Friday, March 15||Application opens at 8 a.m.|
|Tuesday, March 19||Application closes at midnight|
|March 25-April 3||Interviews with candidates|
|April 8-12||Employment offers extended|
Apply via HandShake during application period.
View Desk Assistant Position Description.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I have to reapply to the Desk Assistant position if I applied earlier in the year and was not selected?Answer Close
Since some time has passed since you applied, you will need to complete a new application. This helps ensure we have updated information and ensures you have the most up-to-date information on our position descriptions, as these occasionally change.
Yes, Desk Assistant positions are for one academic year (August-May), meaning you must reapply if you wish to continue in the position the following year. To provide equitable hiring opportunities, all candidates must complete this annual process after Spring Break.
Minnesota Statute Sections 299C.66 to 299C.71 (a.k.a. the Kari Koskinen Manager Background Check Act…herein referred to as “the Act”), enacted in 1995, require background checks on managers of apartment buildings and other dwellings.
The term manager includes any individual “who has or would have the means, within the scope of the individual’s duties, to enter tenants’ dwelling units.” In keeping with the spirit of the Act, this process is used on Minnesota State campuses with residence halls or other dwelling units. It is applied to any person with a key or other means of access to a student room. Desk Assistants have access to student room keys.
Felony offenses that preclude employment/reassignment include all convictions for attempts to commit, or commission, the following:
first, second, and third degree homicide; first and second degree manslaughter; criminal vehicular homicide and injury; first, second, third, fourth, and fifth degree sexual assault; kidnapping; first, second, third and fourth degree criminal sexual conduct; simple robbery; aggravated robbery; false imprisonment; theft; burglary; terroristic threats; first degree arson, and any violation of any level of the harassment and stalking statute.
- If you are starting as a Desk Assistant in January 2024, your supervisor will schedule a training with you between January 5-12. Training is mandatory to be able to work as a Desk Assistant. Shifts for the Front Desk start on Sunday, January 7.
- If you are starting as a Desk Assistant in August 2024, training will take place on in early August. A training date will be released prior to Desk Assistant offers going out in April 2024. This training is mandatory for all Desk Assistants. Shifts at the Front Desk start the Monday before classes begin.