Student AttorneyPage address: https://www.mnsu.edu/mssa/services/student_attorney.html
Knutson & Casey Law Firm
Please do not contact the Knutson-Casey Law Firm directly for appointments with the Student Attorney. Appointments are managed through the Student Government Office Manager. The Student Attorney consultations are available and provided in the office during the academic year, not including summer sessions.
The Student's Attorney
Students at Minnesota State University, Mankato have the right to free legal advice. The Student Association provides a licensed practicing attorney through funding from student activity fees. Offering legal advice to individual students and researching legal issues for student body governance are the most important functions of the Student's Attorney. The Student's Attorney advises and informs students and special interest groups at MSU on a part-time basis.
The Student's Attorney regularly speaks to classes and confers informally with concerned-citizen groups as well as doing publicity-related activities such as radio.
The Office of the Student's Attorney has existed for more than 40 years. It is available by virtue of a special section of Minnesota Statutes (M.S. 136F.57) authorizing the use of activity fee money for the hiring of student legal services providers.
To Make an Appointment
- Deposits, leases, conditions (for roommate conflict issues, visit www.mnsu.edu/activities/housing. Student Attorneys do not mediate roommate conflicts.)
- Felony, misdemeanor, traffic
- Bankruptcy, insurance, sales contracts, debtor/creditor
- Wages, injuries, unemployment, termination
- Divorce, paternity, custody, wills, name change
- Injury of non-contract nature, either negligent or intentional, such as assault, car accident and slander
- Financial aid and so forth are referred to a University red-tape cutter and grade appeals are referred to the Senate Academic Affairs Coordinator
Call 389-2611 or fill out the Appointment Request Form . Feel free to stop by the Student Government Office (room 280) in the Student Union to set up an appointment.
Appointments are necessary and can be made through the Student Government Office Manager, Amber Enz (email email@example.com or call 507-389-2611). Please do not contact the Knutson-Casey Law Firm, directly. Drop-ins are not preferred because schedules are usually full. Student Attorney consultations are not scheduled during the summer months.