University Extended Campus Learner Orientation
This information is for Distance Programs (Edina, Normandale, Mesabi Range Community and Technical College, etc.), Minnesota State Mankato ONLINE, and military students serving out of state or abroad only.
Students completing a degree online or taking classes at one of our University's Extended Campus locations are required to complete an online orientation program prior to registering for classes. The online orientation program includes information about Student Financial Services, student ID, General Education requirements, academic advising, and more. Please follow the steps below to register for the online orientation program.
Step 1: Know your StarID
StarID is your campus username and password. Most students activated StarID during the admissions application process. You will need your StarID and password to register for an orientation program.
- Your StarID includes 2 letters, and 4 numbers, followed by 2 letters (ex. ab1234cd).
- It is important to bring your StarID and password to orientation because you will need it to register for classes!
If you forgot your StarID and password or need to activate your StarID you will need your TechID, SSN, and/or the personal email address you used to apply for admission.
- Go to the StarID website. Read the information, and then click the "Forgot StarID and Password" or "Activate StarID."
- Choose either "Tech ID" (you will need your SSN for this option) or the "Personal Email" option to activate your StarID.
**If you choose the Personal Email option, a verification code will be sent to that email address. Enter that code in the "Verification Code" link on the StarID activation page. Verification codes are only valid for one hour.
- You will be asked to set your StarID password once you gain access to the system.
- After successfully setting your StarID password, you can find your StarID by scrolling to the top of the page. Your StarID will include 2 letters, and 4 numbers, followed by 2 letters (ex. ab1234cd).
If you are having trouble resetting or activating your StarID using the "TechID or Personal Email" option, please call the Registration Help Desk at 507-389-2252.
Please note that when calling for help, the student must initiate the phone call as we are unable to release information related to a student's record to parents, family or guests.
Step 2: Confirm your enrollment
Check your email. The University will email you instructions each Sunday to confirm your enrollment an da link to your personalized website. Visit your admissions checklist where you can confirm your enrollment to let us know you're coming. If you need help, please email email@example.com
Step 3: Register for Orientation
Registration for Summer/Fall 2024 Orientation is open. Please be sure to check the email account you used to apply to the university to find your invitation.
You will typically receive an orientation invitation by email within a week of admission with most emails going out each Monday. In the email, there will be a link to take you to your personal page to register for the online orientation. There is a $25 registration fee.
Step 4: Complete the Online Orientation Module
After registering for Online Orientation, you will receive an email confirmation with details regarding the Online Orientation.
- Successful completion of the orientation module is required to register for classes. It takes up to five (5) business days for your orientation hold to be removed after successfully registering and completing Online Orientation. Once your orientation hold is lifted, it will no longer appear on your E-Services dashboard.
- If you have any questions regarding Online Orientation, please contact the Office of New Student and Family Programs at 507-389-5498.
Step 5: Check your Registration Window
Even if your orientation hold is removed, you will only be able to register when your registration window opens.
Step 6: Contact an Advisor
Step 7: Register for Classes
- Information on how to register for classes.
Questions about any of the Online/Extended Education Programs should be directed to the University's Extended Campus.
Step 8: Apply for Financial Aid
Complete the Free Application for Financial Aid (FAFSA) form (Minnesota State University Mankato’s School Code is 002360). After submitting your FAFSA, check your email regularly to complete additional financial aid steps requested of you.
Step 9: Review your Transfer Evaluation
A Transfer Evaluation is a conversion of how your coursework transfers to Minnesota State, Mankato. Once your Transfer Evaluation is completed, it will be sent to you.
Step 10: Submit any College Transcripts
If you have any updated coursework, grades, etc. since applying for admission, you will need to submit an updated transcript prior to the start of class.
- Minnesota State Colleges & Universities: Transfer students from a Minnesota State institution should submit a request to OneStop requesting additional transcripts be retrieved from their previous school once they have completed these courses and grades are posted.
- Non-Minnesota State Colleges & Universities: Transfer students from a non-Minnesota State institution (out of state, U of MN, private, etc.) should submit final transcripts to: Office of Admissions 122 Taylor Center Minnesota State University, Mankato Mankato, MN 56001 Phone: 1-800-722-0544 or 507-389-1822
Step 11: Reserve your Textbooks
After registering for classes, you can find your textbooks at the Campus Bookstore Maverick Shop.
Step 12: Check your University Email
Any additional information or tasks you should be aware of will be sent to your University email account.
Step 13: Get your MavCARD (Student ID)
A current, government-issued photo ID is needed to get a MavCARD. This process is different depending on your partnership site or if you are an online learner.
Step 14: Check your Financial Aid Status!
Step 15: Review and Attend to Important Financial Aid and Payment Dates
Step 16: Complete your Immunization Record Form (if needed)
You can submit your immunizations electronically, by mail, or by fax. This form is required for students who graduate from high school outside the state of Minnesota or Minnesota high school graduates who have not had their tetanus/diphtheria vaccine within the last ten years. Contact Student Health Services at 507-389-6276 with any questions.
Step 17: Sign up for Engage
Engage is the University’s online community for all student organizations! Browse different student organizations; learn about meeting times, and more! You will need your University email and password to sign up!
Step 18: Get Ready for the First Day of Class
- The First Day of the Fall Semester is Monday, August 22, 2022.
Any questions? Check with the University Extended Campus for more information!
Orientation reservations may be canceled by phone (507-389-5498 ) at least five (5) business days prior to your scheduled orientation session date. You will receive a partial refund of 50% of the orientation fee if a cancellation request is submitted at least five (5) business days prior to your scheduled session date. Those who do not give five business days’ notice, or do not show up, will be charged the entire program fee.