ExplosionsPage address: https://www.mnsu.edu/security/emergencies/explosions.html
- Report any explosions by calling 911 immediately and Campus Security (ext. 2111).
- If necessary, or when directed to do so, activate the building fire alarm.
- During and/or after a building explosion:
- Do not use the elevators.
- Stay low to the floor and exit the building as quickly as possible.
- Stay below the smoke at all times.
- When approaching a closed door, use the palm of your hand and forearm to feel the lower, middle, and upper parts of the door. If it is not hot, brace yourself against the door and open it slowly. If it is hot to the touch, do not open the door – seek an alternate escape route.
- Assist the disabled to an enclosed stairwell landing and notify police and/or fire personnel of their location.
- After The Explosion:
- If you are trapped in debris, remain calm and minimize your movements so that you do not kick up dust.
- Cover your mouth with a handkerchief or a piece of clothing.
- Tap on a pipe or wall so that rescuers can hear where you are.
- Shout only as a last resort, as shouting can cause a person to inhale dangerous amounts of dust.
IMPORTANT: Untrained persons should not attempt to rescue people who are inside a collapsed building. Wait for emergency personnel to arrive.