​Frequently Asked Questions

According to the American's with Disabilities Act, a disability is a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities. These activities include the ability to write, learn, read, think, memorize, hear, see, talk, or walk.

No. However, if you want the school to provide accommodations based on your disability, you must identify yourself to Accessibility Resources as having a disability and have an established plan with them prior to receiving any accommodations. In any event, your disclosure of a disability is always voluntary.

Students must first be admitted to Minnesota State University, Mankato. Then students must make an appointment to see an Accessibility Resources staff person for an intake interview and at that time present documentation of their disability. Note, anytime this information can be forwarded in advance is preferable. Accommodations are determined on an individual basis considering the functional limitations of the disability.

The IEP is a valuable resource of information, but it cannot be used as documentation of the disability. Please refer to the documentation guidelines.

Admitted students can provide documentation and establish a plan for accommodation at any time. Ideally, students will call Accessibility Resources several weeks before starting college to begin the process. Earlier registration with Accessibility Resources is essential in order to arrange for some accommodations like audio textbooks and interpreters and alternative housing requests; late registration may limit immediate assistance.

All documentation is treated confidentially and is governed by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). All information regarding students registered with the office and their documentation is kept in a locked file in Accessibility Resources and information is released only on a need-to-know basis with University faculty/staff who may have a legitimate educational interest.

The following are some services routinely provided: alternative testing (including extended time, distraction free, scribes, readers), note-taking, assistive technology, sign language interpreting, text in alternate format, priority registration, alternative housing accommodations, and advocacy. Other accommodations may be available in response to individual needs.

Personal devices such as wheelchairs or glasses, personal services such as private tutoring or personal attendants, modifications that would lower or change course standards or program standards, and services that are unduly burdensome, administratively or financially.

Students who are 18 years old or older are legally recognized as adults. Therefore, the student is responsible for their own accommodation requests and disability-related decisions. However, students are welcome to discuss accommodations with their parents as they may be a great source of support for you.

If a student is having difficulties with receiving the appropriate accommodations which have been established, Accessibility Resources will mediate the situation. The bottom line however is that students will be accommodated in compliance with Section 504 and the ADA.

Recommended Services on Campus, on the Web, and Local Area