Student Data Privacy

According to FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, also known as the Buckley Amendment), college students are considered responsible adults and are allowed to determine who will receive information about them.

Please be aware that if you contact the university on behalf of your student and that student has not provided written authorization for the university to release his/her private information to you, information provided will be limited to general policy and/or procedure information only.

Student data privacy laws apply to all Minnesota State University, Mankato students, regardless of age.

Under this law, family members who want to receive a copy of their student's academic or financial records can do so if their student signs an Authorization for a Release of Information form.

Important notes about this authorization:

  • It must be filled out by the student.
  • It is voluntary, not required.
  • The student may select any or all of the categories of information they wish to share with the authorized person(s). Please note this form will only allow the release of information that is indicated on the form from Student Financial Services and the Office of the Registrar (This authorization does not pertain to details regarding student conduct or disciplinary matters, residence hall conduct issues, medical, academic advising or counseling services records.)
  • It must be signed in the presence of Campus Hub or Student Financial Services staff, or the students signature must be witnessed by a notary public - photo identification is required to verify the student signature.
  • The authorization may be used for more than one person if at the same address. If you wish to authorize persons at different addresses, please fill out forms for each address.
  • Once the form is submitted, please allow 1-2 business days for the authorization to be updated to the university records before the individual(s) named will receive access to information.

Frequently Asked Questions About Access to Student Records and FERPA

How can I get a copy of my student's grades?
The easiest way for parents to receive information about their student's grades is to ask their student to provide it. Student's can look up information on-line from their e-services account and give or e-mail copies to their parents.

If I'm paying for my child's education, why can't I get a copy of their records?
FERPA requires that access to a college student's records must be granted by approval of the student. Parents can, however, receive some information about their student's records if the student agrees to provide access. Students can allow access to certain information by filling out and returning the Authorization for the Release of Information form. Students should take the form to the Campus Hub at 117 Centennial Student Union. Please note that this form only specifies certain areas of a student's records, and does not cover medical or counseling records.

My student provided me with access to their records. Can I get a copy of their unofficial transcript?
As a matter of policy, the University does not release private information over the phone or by e-mail. Copies of the student's unofficial transcript can be requested and mailed to you through the Registration and Academic Records Office.
Students themselves can print a listing of all their Minnesota State Mankato courses and their credit totals via the web.

Isn't there a FERPA provision that colleges and universities can contact parents if a student violates alcohol or drug policies?
FERPA regulations allow, but do not require, higher education institutions to provide notice to parents when a student violates federal, state or local laws related to alcohol or drugs. The Minnesota Data Practices Act does not permit the release of this information.

Where can I find out more about FERPA?
The U.S. Department of Education is responsible for overseeing FERPA. See the Department's Web site for additional information: