Directory ​Information & Privacy

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords students certain rights with respect to their education records.

Regarding FERPA, our University policy aligns itself closely with Federal, State, and system guidelines and procedures. Release of information is limited to directory information, unless the requester has a legitimate educational interest.

Minnesota State Mankato Student Records Policy

Minnesota Statute on Educational Data

Personal Data Change

If it is necessary to make changes to your personal data, you may make some changes yourself, including address and phone number, using your E-Services account. Other changes are made by Registration and Academic Records using the Personal Data Change Form on the Forms and Links page

You will need to provide appropriate documentation of your change including picture ID (driver's license/passport), marriage certificate, divorce decree, court order, and/or certificate of U.S. citizenship. If you are receiving financial aid, you must also provide a copy of both sides of your signed social security card showing any name or SSN change.

Directory Information

In conformity with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, Minnesota State Mankato recognizes certain items as directory information that may be released for any purpose at the discretion of the University. This information may be released until it is withdrawn or amended, including after enrollment ends. The following information may be released to the public without the consent of the student:

  • Name (Legal and/or Preferred Name)
  • Major field of study
  • Dates of attendance
  • Grade level classification
  • Previous college/University attended
  • Degrees received
  • Awards and honors
  • Height and weight information for athletic participants
  • Performance records and participation in competitive events.
  • Participation in officially recognized activities, sports, and organizations
  • Individual or group photos and videos

Limited Directory Information

As defined by the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), Minnesota State Mankato has defined the following Limited Directory Data. This includes the following data elements:

  • Email address(es)
  • Star ID
  • Local and permanent address
  • Local and permanent telephone number

Limited Directory data may be used:

  • for enterprise technology-related purposes internal to the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities system, including, but not limited to, inclusion of email addresses and Star ID numbers in a directory accessible to Minnesota State students and employees. Please note that inclusion in the Office 365 Global Address List is one of the approved uses.
  • in carrying-out official Minnesota State Mankato student and alumni services and functions.
  • in compliance with official Minnesota State Mankato contracts for service.

Requests to Keep Directory Information Private

Students may request that Directory Information be kept private. To do this, contact Registration and Academic Records.

If you are currently enrolled in or receiving services from another educational agency or institution (not limited to the Minnesota State system), the university will disclose your records to those entities for purposes related to your enrollment. If you intend to enroll at another educational institution, the university will disclose your records to that institution for purposes related to your enrollment or transfer. If you request, you may receive a copy of your records that the university disclosed to the other educational agency or institution.

You have the right to request a copy of records that have been disclosed. You also have the right to request a hearing to correct any inaccurate, incomplete, or misleading information in those disclosed records. For further information about your rights, please contact the Registrar at the college or university that supplied the records.

Requests to Review Educational Records

Students have the right to inspect and review their education records within 45 days of the day the University receives a written request for access.

Students should submit to the director of Registration and Academic Records,  dean, head of the academic department, or other appropriate official, written requests that identify the record(s) they wish to inspect. The University official will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the University official to whom the request was submitted, that official shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.

Requests for Amendments to Educational Records

Students have the right to request an amendment of their education records if the student believes they are are inaccurate or misleading.

To do so, the student must write to the University official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record they want changed, and specify why it is inaccurate or misleading.

If the University decides not to amend the record as requested by the student, the University will notify the student of the decision and advise the student of his or her right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.

The Right to Consent to Information Disclosures

Students have the right to consent to disclosures of personally identifiable information contained in their education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent.

One exception which permits disclosure without consent is disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests.

A school official is a person employed by the University in an administrative, supervisory, academic or research, or support staff position (including health or medical staff) and also clerical staff who transmit the education record; a person who is employed by Minnesota State Mankato Security acting in a health or safety emergency; or a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee, or assisting another school official in performing his or her tasks.

A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibility.

Filing Complaints

Students have the right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by Minnesota State Mankato to comply with the requirements of FERPA.

The name and address of the office that administers FERPA is:

Family Policy Compliance Office
U.S. Department of Education
600 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, DC. 20202-4605