​Residency & Reciprocity

When you first become a Minnesota State Mankato student, the Admissions Office sets your residency status based upon the information they have. Your status usually does not change over your academic career.


If you believe that your residency status is incorrect, you can request to have it changed by filing an appeal form in Registration and Academic Records.

If you are a veteran paying non-resident tuition:

The Military and Veterans Enactments by the 2006 Minnesota Legislature directs the University of Minnesota and Minnesota State institutions to treat all U.S. military veterans as Minnesota residents for undergraduate tuition rate purposes, irrespective of their state of origin or residency.

It also directs that for graduate school tuition purposes, a veteran must be treated as a resident if the person was a resident upon entering the military and starts the graduate program within two years of completing military service.

Minnesota State Mankato requires a copy of the veteran's DD214 to process the change in rates.

Helpful Links

Minnesota State Mankato Tuition and Fees

Minnesota State Board Policy on State Residency


Reciprocity is an agreement between states affecting the tuition a student pays. State agreements could have varying rates depending upon the legislatures involved. More information can be found on our Residency and Reciprocity page in the "Future Students" section of this site.