​Veterans Education Benefits

Minnesota State Mankato is approved to certify students to receive VA educational benefits for many programs.

To review a list of our approved programs, please search the US Department of Veterans Affairs WEAMS website.

Please note: Minnesota State Mankato is not approved to certify students majoring in Aviation.


Veterans paying non-resident tuition

The Military and Veterans Enactments by the 2006 Minnesota Legislature directs the University of Minnesota and Minnesota State institutions to treat all U.S. military veterans as Minnesota residents for undergraduate tuition rate purposes, irrespective of their state of origin or residency.

It also directs that for graduate school tuition purposes, a veteran must be treated as a resident if the person was a resident upon entering the military and starts the graduate program within two years of completing military service.

Minnesota State Mankato requires a copy of the veteran's DD214 to process the change in rates.

Education Benefits

The first step in receiving education benefits is to apply through the US Department of Veterans Affairs. For assistance with this process, please contact:

David Schrader
Southeast Regional Coordinator, Minnesota Department of Veterans Affairs
room: CSU 192
phone: 1-507-389-5726

Once you have received a confirmation of your application for benefits, we can begin the process of certifying your enrollment.

Each semester, students must specifically request to be certified for the term. We will contact you by email with the appropriate request form.

Current or former veteran students, their spouses and their legal dependents are eligible for resident tuition rates under the Section 702 Choice Act. For additional information, please see MinnState Board Procedure 2.2.2.

Please note: This will change the amount of tuition you are charged but will NOT change your legal residency. For additional information, please contact Registration and Academic Records.

Veterans Resource Center

Minnesota State Mankato is proud to offer a Veterans Resource Center to provide assistance, peer support, and educational events for all students impacted by military service.

Transfer of Credit

Please check your transfer evaluation to determine if your military service experience credit is listed. These credits should also appear on your official transcript.

Military service credit is transferred in as elective credit and is not equivalent to other courses. Check with your department to determine if your credits can meet specific degree requirements.

If you need assistance with your transfer credits, please contact:

Transfer Evaluations Department
room: WA 132
phone: 1-507-389-6266

Priority Registration

Minnesota State Mankato allows veteran students to receive priority registration status, which allows early registration. Read the Priority Registration Policy for more information.

If you are receiving VA education benefits, you will receive information regarding priority registration by email. Other veteran students who are NOT currently receiving education benefits must self-identify to the certifying officials and provide proof of current military membership or veteran status to receive the priority registration benefit.

Once your status has been confirmed, you will receive information regarding priority registration each semester. Priority registration allows a 24-48 hour registration time-frame prior to the start of regular registration.