The rules and regulations pertaining to employment for F-1 visa holders are complex. Before accepting any employment AND before working, please discuss your options with an immigration advisor. Unauthorized employment is very serious and will negatively impact your F-1 visa status. Your F-1 student visa permits you to work on campus at the university that issued your I-20 while you are enrolled in a full course of study. Your Minnesota State Mankato I-20 is your proof of work eligibility for on-campus employment at Minnesota State Mankato only. You must maintain F-1 status to be eligible for this employment benefit.

What is Employment?

“Employment” is work performed in exchange for compensation. Compensation can include money, room, and board, or other significant benefits.

What is an Internship? (Paid or Unpaid)

An internship is a period of work experience offered by an employer to give students and/or graduates exposure to the working environment, within a specific industry relating to their field of study. Internships can be as short as a week or as long as one semester. Internships can be paid or unpaid.

What is volunteering?

Typically, volunteers serve on a part-time basis and do not displace regularly employed workers or perform work that would otherwise be performed by regular employees. Individuals may volunteer for charitable and public purposes; volunteer time to religious, civic, humanitarian, or similar non-profit organizations as a public service without remuneration or any other type of compensation. F-1 and J-1 students are allowed to volunteer as long as it is for humanitarian purposes.