shortcut to content
Minnesota State University, Mankato
Minnesota State University, Mankato

Graduate & Doctoral Students

Page address:

We're Here to Help

We want your finances to go smoothly, so you can focus on your academics and research. If you have any questions about your financial aid or student account, feel free to contact us.

Communication with You

Student Financial Services sends billing and financial aid notifications to your university email address. The sender is listed as Campus Hub ( It is your responsibility to read your Minnesota State Mankato email regularly. Your university email address is typically Activating your university email address is accomplished at the time of online registration via the MavAccounts page.

Credit Load per Semester

  • The maximum credit load per semester is 12.
  • You must enroll in at least six graduate credits to be considered a full time graduate student at Minnesota State Mankato.
  • Summer classes include modules and short-term, half-term, and full-term classes and are all considered part of one summer term.

Financial Aid Eligibility

  • Graduate students must complete a FAFSA application to be eligible for Federal Work-Study Graduate Assistantships, Federal Direct Loans, Federal Direct Gradute PLUS Loans or private educational loans.
  • You are considered an Independent Student when you are enrolled in a graduate or professional program.
  • Minimum of 6 graduate credits for financial aid eligbility.
  • Undergraduate credits are generally not eligible for additional financial aid funding. If you enroll in undergraduate credits, contact the Campus Hub to request an appointment with a Financial Aid Assistant Director to review potential eligibility.
  • Non-degree or non-certificate seeking students are not eligible for federal financial aid.

Know Your Costs

Tuition rates vary by delivery method (On-Campus, Online, etc.), but not by residency.

Cost of Attendance / Institutional Budget

Tuition and Fees

Student Charges and Payments

Know Your Resources

Gift Aid (does not require repayment)

Child Care


Federal Loans

  • Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loans -
    Subsidized loans are only available to undergraduate students.
    There are maximum annual and aggregate limits on Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loans.
    • Annual Limit - $ 20,500 (unsubsidized only as of July 1, 2012)
    • Aggregate Limit - $ 138,500 (subsidized may not exceed $65,500)
  • Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loans

Private Educational Loans

Financial Aid

Student Loan Deferment

A deferment is a period of time during which student loan repayment requirements are temporarily suspended. Deferments are granted for specific time periods and only for conditions set forth under federal law. Contact your loan servicer(s) if you wish to request a deferment for your undergraduate student loans while you are enrolled as a graduate student.

Check your loan balance, name of loan servicer, and find deferment and forbearance information at:

Financial Aid TV

Special Program Resources

ID Cards (MavCARD)

Minnesota State University uses a picture ID card called the MavCARD. A university identification card is also available for extended campus students. Please contact the MavCARD office at 507-389-1707 for additional information.

How to Obtain Your MavCARD

  1. Enroll in classes
  2. Visit the MavCARD Office, SU 117, and show your Photo ID to begin the MavCARD process.
  3. Fill out a Student MavCARD Application Form.
  4. Your picture will be taken.
  5. Your MavCARD will be printed.