Academic Technology Services (ATS)
Are your materials accessible or able to be made accessible quickly should a student with a physical or cognitive disability register for your course? ATS, in partnership with Accessibility Resources, has services to help you address accessibility obligations to your learners. Please contact Ginny Daniels via IT Solutions for more information.
Academic Technology Services provides accessibility consulting for online instruction and media captioning support.
Instructors using media in their courses (onsite and online) are required to provide equivalent alternatives for students with hearing disabilities.
Captioning Media Guidelines
The University uses 3Play Media, a third-party captioning service. We currently have IT Solutions staff (Accessible Technologies) available to assist faculty in getting materials captioned. Guidelines to submit a request are as follows:
1. Contact the IT Solutions Center with your captioning request. You may do this in one of various ways:
- Call 507-389-6654
- Email email@example.com
- IT Solutions Self-Services
- In person at the IT Solutions Center located in the Academic Computer Center (ACC) in the lower level of Wissink Hall (WH 121)
- Title(s) of all purchased or faculty made videos and/or online clips that require captioning
- Semester/Session media will be viewed, for example: Fall '17
- Due date(s) of when you will need the media available for viewing
- If needed, Accessible Technologies will contact you to finalize the details for your request
3. You are asked to provide the media (VHS, DVD, video files) to Accessible Technologies.
4. All requested captioned videos will be placed into your Media Manager site.
Minnesota State, Mankato's Media Manager enables you to share your videos in D2L while granting student access based on authenticated D2L access. Media will remain in Media manager where you can activelymanage your media each semester.
Any copyrighted materials that are digitized/captioned by Academic Technology Services (ATS) must comply with Copyright and Fair Use regulations. Please contact the IT Solutions Center if you have any questions regarding the Copyright and Fair Use regulations.
- How long does the captioning process take?
- It takes approximately 3 to 5 business days for captioning requests. This depends on project load at the time of request.
- Is there any cost to the requesting department?
- There is no cost to the requesting department for captioning requests for academic use. Charges for transcription/captioning may apply for groups outside of academic use. Estimates will be provided.