shortcut to content
Minnesota State University, Mankato
Minnesota State University, Mankato

Veterans Affairs

Page address:

Veterans, Dependents of Veterans, National Guardsmen or Reservists eligible for educational benefits must contact the Veterans' Certification Officer in the Registrar's Office, in order to receive them. ´╗┐As a reminder, Service members should speak with their Educational Services Officer (ESO) or counselor within their Military Service prior to enrolling in an institution. 


Applications should be completed 6-8 weeks prior to the term for which benefits are requested. Students will be advised of VA requirements regarding courses, pay status, unsatisfactory progress, and benefits available to recipients. Eligible persons are reminded that the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs will not pay benefits for repeated or audited courses. In addition, benefits for short courses--those that do not meet for the entire term--will be paid for only the days that the class meets.

Information Concerning Students Called to Military Service

        [PDF] document (47 KiB)

Higher Education Veterans Programs (Minnesota Department of Veterans Affairs)

Resident Tuition Status for All U.S. Veterans

The Military and Veterans Enactments by the 2006 Minnesota Legislature directs the UMN and Minnesota State institutions to treat all U.S. military veterans as Minnesota residents for undergraduate tuition rate purposes, irrespective of their state of origin or residency.

It also directs that for graduate school tuition purposes, a veteran must be treated as a resident if the person was a resident upon entering the military and starts the graduate program within two years of completing military service.

Minnesota State University, Mankato requires a copy of the veteran's DD214 to process the change in rates.

Veterans Resource Center

Minnesota State University, Mankato's Veterans Resource Center was created in partnership with the Minnesota Department of Veterans Affairs to provide information and assistance to students making the transition from the military to college. Veterans, current military members, and family members are encouraged to come in for personalized information about both on and off campus resources to meet the uniques challenges they face.

The Veterans Resource Center can provide information about:

  • Educational benefits and scholarships
  • Veterans' employment help and unemployment benefits
  • Medical benefits
  • Mental health resources
  • Family assistance services
  • Service-connected disability claims
  • Post-deployment transition issues
  • Veterans' rights regarding residency status, payment extensions, military transfer credits, and accomodations for deployments

This center is staffed by David Schrader (email: and is located in room 192 of the Centennial Student Union (phone: 389-5726).

The Veterans Resource Center does not process GI Bill or Dependents Education Benefits. These applications are processed by the VA School Certifying Official located in the Office of the Registrar, 132 Wigley Administration Center, Mankato, MN 56001.

Transfer Credit

Please check your transfer evaluation to determine if your military service experience credit is listed. These credits should also appear on your official transcript. Military service credit is transferred in as elective credit and is not equivalent to other courses. Check with specific departments to determine if they may wish to utilize your military credit in some way.

Further information is available online or from the Transfer Evaluation Department (phone: 389-6266,

Priority Registration

Minnesota State University, Mankato has approved a new policy which will allow you to register in advance of the regular registration period. The policy itself can be found [PDF] here (139 KiB).

Determination of students eligible for priority registration is made through the use of VA educational benefits, verified by the certifying officials in the Office of the Registrar. Those students otherwise eligible under this category, but not currently using VA education benefits must self-identify to the certifying officials and provide proof of current military membership or veteran status (this policy excludes dependents of veterans and military members). A 24-48 hour priority registration timeframe prior to the start of regular registration is granted for eligible military members and veterans.

For Spring 2015 registration, the priority registration dates are November 4 and 5, 2015.

Questions concerning Veterans Affairs issues should be directed to our School Certifying Officials:

Dee Schmidt - Chapter 33 (Post 911) and Chapter 35 (Dependent) Education Benefits

room:  WA 132; phone:  389-5251

Corey Hugg - Chapters 1606, 1607 (guard/reservists), Chapter 31 (voc/rehab), and Chapter 30 (MGI Bill)

room:  WA 132; phone:  389-5264