Starting a New Organization
Becoming a Recognized Student Organization (RSO) ensures access to a variety of benefits and resources. Learn more in the Student Organization Handbook.
Students can start a new organization at any time during the academic year by following 4 simple steps.
- Recruit 5 members
- The following officer positions must be filled: President, Vice-President, and Treasurer.
- Write a formal constitution and determine the official name of the RSO.
- Use the editable constitution template.
- Secure an RSO Advisor (Must be a faculty or staff member of campus).
- Submit the "Register new Recognized Student Organization" application under Groups on Mav Central. Process is open starting the first day of classes in the fall semester and closes April 1 each spring.
If you have questions about starting an RSO, please email email@example.com with “New Organization” in the subject line, and a member of the Student Activities team will get back to you.
What happens next?
- The Maverick Involvement Team (MIT) will review your submission and provide feedback if changes are neccessary.
- After MIT approval, the application will go to the RSO Advisor for approval.
- After RSO Advisor approval, Student Activities will give it one more look and if all requirements are met the RSO will be sent to Student Government for a vote.