Minnesota State Mankato Students Attending Another School

A consortium agreement grants financial aid eligibility for courses that are applicable to a student’s degree program at Minnesota State University, Mankato but are taken at another school. The consortium agreement is approved on an individual, course-specific basis; no financial aid is disbursed to the student for enrollment at another school without appropriate arrangements.

  • Credits must be required for your degree or certificate program.
  • If you are approved for a consortium agreement, financial aid is disbursed to you and you are responsible for making payment to the other institution. Each institution will bill you separately and credits cannot be combined toward Minnesota State Mankato banded tuition.
  • If your consortium agreement is not finalized prior to the other institution’s registration cancellation date you may be at risk of having your classes cancelled there. You are responsible for monitoring your registration status and meeting the financial requirements of the other institution.
  • It is recommended to submit your request no later than one month prior to the end of the semester for which you are applying. Requests after the semester has ended will not be accepted.

Requesting A Financial Aid Consortium Agreement

Note: if your course enrollment relates to a Study Abroad and Away travel experience or participation in a National Student Exchange program, please refer to the information provided below to work with the offices coordinating those programs.


Taking courses at another MinnState School:

  1. The MinnState Consortium Form
  2. If you have questions regarding your financial aid and potential eligibility, please contact the Campus Hub for information or an appointment.

Taking courses at a non-MinnState School (i.e. University of Minnesota):

  1. Contact the Campus Hub to set up an appointment with a Financial Aid Advisor to discuss your eligibility and obtain the form.
  2. Obtain written approval from the Academic Advisor for your College and written confirmation from the Minnesota State Mankato Office of the Registration and Academic Records that assures the course(s) taken will transfer in and are officially acknowledged as applicable to your degree. (Bring this to your financial aid appointment if possible).
  3. Submit your completed Consortium Agreement form and all required information to the Campus Hub, in person, by email to campushub@mnsu.edu or by mail to Student Financial Services, 120 Wigley Administration Center, Mankato, MN 56001.
  4. If a consortium is approved, you will need to have an official transcript sent to Minnesota State Mankato after the semester is over.
  5. Watch for e-mail follow-up regarding the status of your Consortium Agreement. Confirm all requirements have been met for an approved agreement, or provide additional information as needed. Requests for financial aid eligibility will be denied if all requirements for an approved agreement are not met.

Study Abroad and Away

A financial aid consortium agreement is needed to obtain eligibility for courses that require enrollment at another school. Additional financial aid eligibility may also be requested to cover the enrollment and travel costs associated with these programs.

A financial aid consortium agreement is not needed for programs led by Minnesota State Mankato faculty that include enrollment in courses offered through Minnesota State Mankato. However, additional financial aid eligibility may be requested to cover the travel costs associated with these programs.

For specific guidance on the requirements and resources available, visit the Center for Education Abroad and Away during office hours at Room 3 Morris Hall (lower level), by phone at 507-389-1281, or via email to ipo@mnsu.edu.

Study Abroad and Away Information

National Student Exchange (NSE)

Minnesota State Mankato participates in the National Student Exchange (NSE) with approximately 200 institutions across the continental U.S, Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Guam. U.S. Virgin Islands and four Canadian provinces. Minnesota State Mankato students pay tuition and fees to Minnesota State Mankato to study at another participating school for a semester or a year. In addition, Minnesota State Mankato processes financial aid for students participating in NSE programs just as it would if the student was taking Minnesota State Mankato classes. A financial aid consortium agreement is not needed.

Students must meet eligibility and application requirements for approval to participate in National Student Exchange. Visit the Center for Education Abroad and Away National Student Exchange Information page for specific guidance.

Maintaining eligibility once a financial aid consortium agreement is approved:

  1. Complete and earn passing grade(s) for course(s) taken at your host institution.
  2. Request an official transcript from the host institution to be sent to the Office of the Registrar at Minnesota State Mankato.
  3. Confirm your Minnesota State Mankato academic records reflect grade(s) earned at your host institution.