Navigation GuidelinesPage address: https://www.mnsu.edu/website/navigation.html
Here are some guidelines to keep in mind so your visitors can find the information they need, and accomplish the tasks you want them to do online.
- Remember your audience: Your website navigation isn't for your department staff, it's for your website visitors. If it doesn't make sense to them, it needs to be changed so it does.
- Be descriptive: use keywords (one or two) that are clear and intuitive to your audience.
- Help your visitors find what they're looking for by using natural groupings and subgroups. Every time they click a link that satisfies their hopes for success, they're more likely to pursue the search.
- Keep the number of top level links to four to nine: if you have 15 or 20 links in your top-level navigation, your visitors won't be able to scan the list, but will need to read it.
- Keep secondary list to five if possible.
- Remember, these are guidelines. If you must break them, make sure you've got a good reason.