On-Campus Employment

On-campus employment includes:

  • Minnesota State Mankato departments and offices
    • Examples: teaching assistant, graduate assistant, IT Solutions Help Desk, parking attendant, painter, library student worker
  • Work performed in a campus location for a commercial firm providing direct services to students
    • Example: Maverick Shop at Minnesota State University, Mankato, Sodexo, WellsFargo in CSU

Time Limits

You are allowed to work:

  • Part-time (20 hours per week or less) during your regular full-time semesters
  • Full-time (more than 20 hours per week) between semesters
  • Full-time (more than 20 hours per week) during your annual vacation

Expiration of On-campus Employment Eligibility

Your on-campus employment eligibility ends:

  • When you graduate. It expires the last day of your final semester, even if your I-20 expiration date is in the future.
  • If you transfer to a new university; your work authorization expires on the day your SEVIS record is transferred.
  • If you violate your J-1 status.

Work Study

Work study is federal financial aid and only available to U.S. citizens and permanent residents. As a J-1 student, you are not eligible for a work study position and should not apply. Look for positions listed with an "hourly student rate" or for "student labor".

Finding a Campus Job

Once you've registered for classes, you can log in to Handshake with your StarID and password. Your on-campus jobs search and application will take place in Handshake. If you have more questions, please contact the Career Development Center.