On-campus employment includes:
- Minnesota State Mankato departments and offices
- Examples: teaching assistant, graduate assistant, IT Solutions Help Desk, parking attendant, painter, library student worker
- Work performed in a campus location for a commercial firm providing direct services to students
- Example: Maverick Shop at Minnesota State University, Mankato, Sodexo, WellsFargo in CSU
You are allowed to work:
- Part-time (20 hours per week or less) during your regular full-time semesters
- Full-time (more than 20 hours per week) between semesters
- Full-time (more than 20 hours per week) during your annual vacation
Expiration of On-campus Employment Eligibility
Your on-campus employment eligibility ends:
- When you graduate. It expires the last day of your final semester, even if your I-20 expiration date is in the future.
- If you transfer to a new university; your work authorization expires on the day your SEVIS record is transferred.
- If you violate your J-1 status.
Work study is federal financial aid and only available to U.S. citizens and permanent residents. As a J-1 student, you are not eligible for a work study position and should not apply. Look for positions listed with an "hourly student rate" or for "student labor".
Finding a Campus Job
Once you've registered for classes, you can log in to Handshake with your StarID and password. Your on-campus jobs search and application will take place in Handshake. If you have more questions, please contact the Career Development Center.