Serious Economic Circumstances

Economic Hardship for J-1 

J-1 students who have received their DS-2019 from MSU, Mankato are eligible to request off-campus work authorization due to unforeseen financial need. This type of work authorization is called Economic Hardship.  

This type of employment allows you to work off-campus in a part-time job, no more than 20 hours per week, during the academic year and full-time during breaks and summer.  The position does not need to be related to your field of study.   

There is no time limit associated with the Economic Hardship work authorization.  If you can demonstrate financial need, you are eligible to apply as long as the need exists.  This will not affect your Academic Training eligibility.  

To request Economic Hardship work authorization, please see your immigration advisor in the Kearney Center.