Read&Write - Download Instructions
Read&Write is a text-to-speech program that provides visual and auditory feedback of text. It offers support to all students especially struggling readers and writers, those with literacy difficulties or visual impairments and English language learners. Here are a few advantages of Read&Write:
- Hear web pages, electronic books, and documents read aloud to improve reading comprehension
- Understand unfamiliar words with text and picture dictionaries
- Develop writing skills with word-prediction
- Support independent student research with valuable study skills tools
Computer Labs on Campus
The desktop version of Read&Write is available for use in all computer labs on the Minnesota State University, Mankato campus. After logging into the computer with your Star ID and password, you will see the Read&Write icon.
Read&Write can be used on several platforms: desktop (Windows or Mac), Google Chrome, Android and iPad. We suggest downloading for both the desktop and Google Chrome versions so you can work both online and offline.
- Go to the Texthelp Website and choose the "Try Read&Write" button in the middle of the screen. Choose Windows (US) or Mac.
- Once Read&Write is downloaded, you will be prompted to sign in with your Microsoft Office 365 credentials (example: email@example.com).
Downloading and Installing for Windows:
Downloading and Installing for Mac:
To install, download the following extensions from the Google Chrome Apps Store on your computer.
- Read&Write for Google Chrome app
- OrbitNote extension - used for opening and working with PDF's
- Screenshot Reader extension - only needed if working with inaccessible documents
- e-Pub Reader - only needed if reading an e-Pub book/article