Official Withdrawals

An official withdrawal is defined as terminating enrollment in all registered courses for an academic semester at Minnesota State University, Mankato.

The decision to withdraw from all of your courses has both academic and financial outcomes.

To officially withdraw, drop all of your courses on e-services and complete a Request for Withdrawal form at the Campus Hub.

If you are unable to complete a Request for Withdrawal form in person, please provide the following information to the Campus Hub:

  • Full name
  • Mailing address (where refund, if any, will be sent)
  • Daytime telephone number
  • Student StarID or Tech ID
  • Academic semester of withdrawal

When you officially withdraw, grades of “W” are placed on your courses to indicate they are in withdrawal status and a review of your financial obligations is initiated based on your withdrawal date.

  • The withdrawal date is determined by:
    • the date the Campus Hub is notified of the student’s decision to officially withdraw from the University, or
    • the date the student drops all registered courses online, whichever comes first.
  • Semester-specific withdrawal charts outline the refund/credit percentages that are applied based on the withdrawal date.
  • Refunds/credits of tuition and fees for withdrawal are based on Minnesota State refund policy.
  • A Tuition Refund Appeal may be submitted for consideration if an extenuating circumstance led to the official withdrawal.
  • Financial aid eligibility is reviewed for required adjustments based on the withdrawal date. If you are no longer eligible for financial aid that was applied to charges on your student account or that was issued as an overage payment to you, you will be required to repay the University for the funds returned to those aid programs. University Policy Return of Title IV Federal Financial Aid for Official and Unofficial Withdrawals provides details regarding the treatment of federal financial aid program funds. Refunds to Minnesota financial aid programs (MN State Grant, MN Post-Secondary Child Care Grant, MN Public Safety Officer’s Survivor Grant, SELF Loan, MN Indian Scholarship Program, MN GI Bill®, and MN Teacher Candidate Grant) are calculated using the Minnesota Office of Higher Education Refund Policy.

If you have any questions about the official withdrawal process or regarding the status of your request, you may contact the Campus Hub.

You may also find these Guidelines for Students Returning to the University (PDF) helpful if your plans include returning to the University for a future semester.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at