Locking Systems & Key Request Application
The Security Department is responsible for the management of University locking and key systems. This includes, but not limited to, key and locking systems control, cutting and recording all issued keys, key core repair or replacement, and the return of all University keys and locking devices.
Key Request Application
To request a key(s) for faculty, staff, student, or another person, a completed key request form is required by the Department Head or higher-level supervisor/administrator.
- The person receiving keys MUST present a MavCard or picture identification at the time keys are issued
- All students (including Graduate Students, Graduate Assistants and Teaching Assistants) must make a $15.00 deposit per key at the Security Office, 222 Wiecking Center BEFORE obtaining keys. When keys are returned the deposit paid will be refunded or applied to any outstanding University balance.
- The loss or suspected loss of any key and/or MavCard with electronic access control privilege(s) shall be reported immediately to the employee's supervisor/department head and the Security Department.
- Non-University employees, (i.e. contract workers), shall report the loss immediately to their on-campus liaison, (i.e. project managers for construction projects, managers responsible for campus dining contracts, etc.)
- Individuals assigned to campus housing communities shall report the loss immediately to the Department of Residential Life.
- To replace a lost key, a new key request form signed by the Department Head or higher-level supervisor/administrator is required.
- Employees who have lost or the key(s) are otherwise not available for return shall be subject to appropriate disciplinary action. Such a process will conform to the employee’s collective bargaining agreement and shall be the responsibility of the employee’s supervisor. Departments and/or Divisions that maintain department key-ring(s) may be responsible for re-coring and programming costs associated with any lost key or MavCARD with access privileges.
Duplication of Keys
Key recipients must not to duplicate, share, or transfer the key(s) issued to them. Holders of electronic access control privileges shall agree not to share their card with others at any time.
Returing University Issued Keys
- Individuals issued University keys are responsible for the return of keys in the event of a transfer to another area, separation from the University, or suspension.
- Department Heads authorizing the issuance of keys are responsible for ensuring that an individual returns keys to the Security Department.
- An employee’s failure to return University keys or perform the appropriate steps regarding the deactivation of electronic access privileges may result in the former employee/supervisor being liable for the costs of re-coring and re-keying and/or disciplinary action in accordance with collective bargaining unit agreements. Employees who separate from the University yet maintain employment with the state shall have information regarding the unreturned key forwarded to the employee’s new worksite for additional action in accordance with collective bargaining unit agreements.
- Any requests for service to the hardware of a door, key stuck in a lock, or an assignment of or change in a file/desk lock should be e-mailed as a work order request to the Physical Plant office. Individuals assigned to campus housing communities should request service immediately by contacting the Department of Residential Life.
- Any requests for a core or key change should be submitted in writing or by e-mail to email@example.com. Individuals assigned to campus housing communities should request service immediately by contacting the Department of Residential Life.
View the University Policy on Lock, Key and Electronic Access Control.
Your feedback is important to us! Please let us know of any suggested changes or if you have questions. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.